DNS forwarding through 2 PCs?

A

Asbardella

I'm looking to do something a bit unusual, so I drew a crappy diagram to help me explain it.

network.jpg

Currently I am routing all my internet traffic through Sygate on PC1, including UDP, IRC etc. I am looking to buy a wireless kit to go with my new laptop, and I was wondering if it was possible to connect it to the second computer (i.e. the one without a direct link to the net), and then route the laptop's internet traffic through PC2 and PC1. (The black dots are the laptop's data)

Is that feasible? Is it just a case of setting the forwarding on the laptop to the second PC? Or will they all appear on the same network so I can just point it towards PC1? I hope this made sense, please ask if it didn't and I'll clarify.

ok

tell me if im correct.

u want PC1 to act as server.
PC2 is the netowork PC.
Labtop sends data packets to PC2.

And that will work? It will forward to PC2 and then again to PC1 and then to the net?

Wolverine - that is correct.

why not ditch the dial up and get broadband then get a router

broadband is about the same price as any dialup isp + second phoneline and routers are relitively cheap ($80-120)

i myself have a cable connection with roadrunner running into a Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless acesspoint/router ($120) then run a cat cable to the desktop with the laptop using a linksys WPC11 Instant Wireless Network Adapter($80).

everything works great
simple to set up and to use

I highly suggest this method

total cost for me
$200 hardware
$35 a month for 1.5Mbs cable connection

lol

routers suck
save money and get rid of routers

routers suck? lmao, you must have bought one online from ebay

either running a good 3rd party hardware firewall or running a *nix aka freesco, smoothwall, ect is the best way to go, better than running say blackice, nortons (yikes! ), zonealarm, ect.... as these can be compromised alot easier than a router or nix box

routers do suck

turning a simple PC into a server is way more flexable and has more options then a router.

i would either get a wireless access point with a built in switch/hub, or plug the USB wireless into PC1 and have PC1 route both the laptop and pc2

JJB6486

Routers don't suck. They are very simple and usefull if you don't want a pile of feature you don't understand. Plus they are a few million times easier to configure than a generic Linux or BSD computer acting as router.

I use a Linux box myself, but then again I want the features.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back