dns cache registry hack

D

denro

I tried the dns cache registry hack on my 50.6K modem connection and found to my surprise that it made a tremendous difference. The disconnects are fewer (not happening) and the page views are more rapid. I haven't used any benchmarks, but qualitatively, this is an excellent improvement. Why were these settings left out of the default install of XP? Suggest others might want to try the registry merge. I set a restore point in case I had problems. Thanks for the tweak.

Don't suppose you could post the reg hack??? I'm crawlin' with 56k and would do anything to improve it.

For niro28

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters]
"CacheHashTableBucketSize"=dword:00000001
"CacheHashTableSize"=dword:00000180
"MaxCacheEntryTtlLimit"=dword:0000fa00
"MaxSOACacheEntryTtlLimit"=dword:0000012d

But if you search for the original tweak in the tweak section, you can download the reg file. But you could, I guess, just paste this into notepad and save as a reg file before merging it into the registry. It will be interesting to see if you also have good success with this. Perhaps we have different problems, but worth a try. (I noticed that [Parameters] is word wrapping. You may have to fix that before trying the merge.)

Thanks for the quick reply. I found the tweak in the tweaks section, but apparently the .reg download isn't currently available as it brings up a page stating so. I could try c/p the text in you post and saving as a .reg file, but I think I'd rather d/l the .reg file.

for me it did no massive improvement, still the same !!!

tel me if someone has any dial-up tweaks !

I want to undo the hack and forgot to do a restore point and i forgot to backup my registry. Can someone please post the original values from :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters]
"CacheHashTableBucketSize"=dword:
"CacheHashTableSize"=dword:
"MaxCacheEntryTtlLimit"=dword:
"MaxSOACacheEntryTtlLimit"=dword:

I just checked my registry for the default values. (I didn't do the DNS tweak).
It looks like there are no default values. It's empty! (See screendump)
So, i guess you'll just have to remove those DWORD values.

Note: Don't forget to make a backup or restore point, because i could be wrong.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back