DLL Call Crash and Window Explorer Closes

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by percy, Mar 19, 2005.

1. percy

percy OSNN Senior Addict

Hi. I am trying to install a software and it crashes and shows that a DLL called for the crash and the same time my window explorer window closes. What could be wrong? thanks. :(

2. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

Could use some more info. What's the software and what's the exact error? Also, your version of Windows could help, too.

3. percy

percy OSNN Senior Addict

my OS is window XP pro. the file was a pkint.dll.GetBook .. it is a motorola phone tool software.

4. percy

percy OSNN Senior Addict

the full code is :

"Error Number: 0x80040707
    Description: DLL Function Call Crashed: PbkInstall._GetBookNames
    Setup will terminate "

I hope this helps. :(

5. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Do you happen to have Outlook 2003 installed? Did a quick google search and seems to be the cause .. why I don't know. :p

*edit* - I have no idea if this works but from reading you can hit ctr-alt-del when you get the error message (without hitting ok) and look for setup.exe and kill that. Then you should be able to upgrade the app. Again I have no idea but you could try it. :p

6. percy

percy OSNN Senior Addict

yes, i have office 2003 installed. i don't use google search engine :)

i'll try the ctrl-alt-del function then. thanks.

7. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Someone else with the same problem deleted it all together, downloaded it again, & away it went.

8. percy

percy OSNN Senior Addict

I had retried downloading the file again but the same problem. since it is a rar file and tried to open it with winace the problem still existed. i will try to open it with winrar and repair the file, then try to install it again. thanks again.