Display properties, 16-bit is faster than 23 ! help

R

Rami

Hello,

I have 2 problems please:

First:

I have upgraded my PC from Win98 to WinXP. Everything went fine except for the "color quality" thing in display properties. When I have the quality "Medium 16-bit", it's ok .. but when I have it on 32-bit, everything runs slow and the files open very slowly. Any help please ?

Second:

How can I clear the 'shadow' appears on every item on my desktop ?

Thank you very much

there are many different reasons why this could be happening.

First - your cpu speed

Read the recommened settings and things needed to run xp properly

Originally posted by b-man__
there are many different reasons why this could be happening.

First - your cpu speed

WHAT? b-man - it's okay to be a novice, but giving advice may be a few months away - okay?

Rami - make sure you have the latest drivers for your video card. Get them from the oem Web Site

As for the second question, which shadows are you asking about? Take a look at System Properties / Advanced / Performance Settings and set up everything the way you like.

hey, i give good advice all the time, just sometimes some topics screw me up

The reason your PC slows down when increasing colour depth is that your card can't handle it. Basically its trying to display things in more colours, and generally display more colours full stop.

Basically you'll need a new graphics card.

Secondly, to remove shadows from under icons, use TweakXP which you can download a trial of from.

http://www.totalidea.de/frameset-tweakxp.htm

Originally posted by one-x
The reason your PC slows down when increasing colour depth is that your card can't handle it. Basically its trying to display things in more colours, and generally display more colours full stop.

Basically you'll need a new graphics card.

Secondly, to remove shadows from under icons, use TweakXP which you can download a trial of from.

http://www.totalidea.de/frameset-tweakxp.htm
Sorry to disagree, but it may be as simple as the driver needing to be updated.

that could be a reason. My bad :)

Lets find out what card he has though. Might be onboard or sommit lol.

Also, if he is talking about "shadows" under the icons (and I'm not sure that's what he is asking) all he needs to do is go to System Properties / Advanced / Performance Settings and put a check mark in "Use Drop Shadows...."

Originally posted by Rami
When I have the quality "Medium 16-bit", it's ok .. but when I have it on 32-bit, everything runs slow and the files open very slowly. Any help please ?Second:

First: update to the latest drivers, BUT:

you eyes will never be able to tell the difference between 16 and 32 bit, so running at 32 bit uses unnecessary system resources. I always run 16 bit to increase system performance!

i found using 32bit over 16bit in Win9x and 2000 caused the pc to lag slightly... things open slower... i get a strange scroll effect when I close things like ms word or msie (i think thats cuz its reloading the background or something though)

ive found with a clean install of WinXP however, it can be ran in either 32bit or 16bit without any [well... perhaps like 0.001%] performance loss...

could it be due to it having been Win9x originally, then being upgraded to XP?

bit of a shot in the dark... but its possible.

Updating drivers probably will fix it i imagine... depends on your graphics card really.

And like Elroy said - 16bit makes no real visual improvements over 32bit (unless you're looking at extremely good quality images etc)

Re: Re: Display properties, 16-bit is faster than 23 ! help

Originally posted by Elroy Jetson
First: update to the latest drivers, BUT:

you eyes will never be able to tell the difference between 16 and 32 bit, so running at 32 bit uses unnecessary system resources. I always run 16 bit to increase system performance!

I really hate to disagree with you, but there are people that can tell the difference. Not everyone's eyes are the same when it comes to viewing things. My intention is not start a debate or arguement, just that never seeing the difference is an opinion and not fact.

my actual statement was that there is no "real" improvement... of course there is some improvement, just nothing u would write home and tell ur parents about... it aint that special is that i mean

this is a very amusing thread.

of course, the advice to update your drivers is excellant advice

but you will always run faster with the 16 bit setting, and if you have under 512 ram, the speed differance is substantial.

so much so, and the image quality is not noticeable for many, that this is a fine tweak.

so, ya...keep your drivers updated, but if you do not notice the visual differance with a 32 bit setting, don't use it, it slows you down

You can not display the special Windows XP icons (24bit+8bit alpha channel for the semitransparent look) with 16bit display settings. There you will see a very clear difference.

Originally posted by yoyo
You can not display the special Windows XP icons (24bit+8bit alpha channel for the semitransparent look) with 16bit display settings. There you will see a very clear difference.

Well put yoyo.you can see the difference Here

Rami,

Please post back with your graphics card details and what drivers you are using for it;) also how much RAM you have

I also noticed in your post that you have upgraded from 98 to Xp, its a consensus of opinion that this is the road to alot more problems than its worth:(

The road to take is a clean install of Xp:happy: if you need any advise with a clean install just start another thread and you will get all the help you need;) , its not as painful as it seems.

Hope this helps you

Alan

i notice it there... but if u change themes and icons etc, then u will notice more of a difference usually...

which brings me onto my question...

where did u get that theme from for ur xp? looks simple an clear :)

Originally posted by TechSupport
which brings me onto my question...
where did u get that theme from for ur xp? looks simple an clear :)

Its StyleXp one of the default themes that comes with it

community visual style that comes with StyleXP is better, it has a theme in it called .NET. Better than the StyleXP theme!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back