Display & Printing Issues

D

Dick

Why do the pages of some websites appear entirely within my monitor display while others are larger? It's a real pain to have to scroll to the left to read the stuff along the right edge. I don't recall this happening on my Win 98 PC. Is it the site itself that's causing this or some setting on my PC? It doesn't matter whether the zoom is set to 100% or something (80% or 120%) else.

Also, when I try to print from some (not all) websites, the right side of the text/graphics gets cut off. This even occurs on some sites that display normally on my monitor. To print the entire page, I have to set the printer to landscape.

Using Win XP Home SP1 with 1.6gb P4. Browser is Opera 6.05. The printer is an Epson 1200.

Your help will be very much appreciated.

Best regards, Dick

having to scroll to the right to see an entire web page could probably be fixed by increasing your vidoe resolution.
and the printer thing is normal, most web pages just dont print out well, thats why some of them have a 'printer friendly' link on them

Thanks for the reply Rettach,

From your comments, it appears that layout of websites is a "free for all" with little or no effort made to follow user friendly design practices. I'm aware of the printer friendly option but not all websites offer it.

I tried bumping up the resolution from 800x600 to 1024x768. As expected, it shrunk the display but it also shrinks everything else. I don't like the result, so I guess I'm going to have to live with this scrolling condition.

Best regards, Dick

"shrunk the display"? You mean as in black borders around the picture? In that case you can fix that with the controls on the front of your screen.

I definately recommend running at least 1024x768. Alot of sites just aren't made for lower resolution these days.

Oh and the reason many sites don't have printer friendly, I think, is because they are not made to be printed.

Thanks Zedric,

No not as in "black borders". Like, as in "text/graphics are cut off" during printing.

During viewing, the right hand side (maybe 1-1 1/2") is off of the screen. You have to scroll/pull the page to the left to see the right edge. Resetting to 1024x768 just shrinks the page, but the right side is still cut off.

As you imply, web site builders must be making the pages bigger & ignoring the inconvenience to the viewers.

Best, Dick

Hey try this i found out (no really i did) hold down Ctrl key on a web page and use the scroll key off your mouse hey presto enlarged text for you old fogeys if you aint got a scroll key your older than i thought but i assume that page up/down keys do the same sh*t:cool:

Originally posted by Dick
I tried bumping up the resolution from 800x600 to 1024x768. As expected, it shrunk the display but it also shrinks everything else. I don't like the result, so I guess I'm going to have to live with this scrolling condition.
800x600 is simply too low a resolution anymore. people who make websites now assume the viewer is going to be using a resolution of at least 1024x768. i suggest you do the same. you will get used to it, i promise.

and when you say it "shrunk the display"... did you mean the icons and text got smaller? or the viewable area dimensions got smaller (leave a black area around your screen)? if you mean the latter, you can adjust the screen using the controls on your monitor.

"the right side is still cut off"
Does this apply for all (or many (this?)) pages or just one or a few? If it's just a few, then that page may be made by people who think that everyone has at least 1280x1024. Most don't. :)

If this page is cut off in 1024x768 then your browser is set too wide for some reason. Maximize the windows to fit it "inside" the screen.

Thanks to all for your replies.

Zedric, it is only "A FEW" web sites that cut off the right side. Most are displayed & print just fine.

Change the margins in whatever app you are using.
I also hate the small icons when I change screen resolution.
Hope to get my new 21" monitor any time now.
:-]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back