Disk defrag?

Discussion in 'Windows Applications' started by zapoqx, Dec 19, 2008.

1. zapoqx

zapoqx Striking Master

Now this is not a question of how to do it, but what program would you use to defrag the disk optimally? If possible, I would like one that is free.

Thanks!!

2. RagnaroK

RagnaroK Must be dreaming...

3. binoyxj

binoyxj PrOuD InDiAn

4. Petros

Petros Thief IV

I use JKdefrag 64-bit. I like its simplicity--a nice little screensaver mode and command line.

5. zapoqx

zapoqx Striking Master

Thanks everyone!

6. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

Usually when it comes to defragging, seeing that you don't do it but maybe once or twice a month? well, you don't have to do it ever day or every week.; just using the one in windows is good enough. Those external apps for it are just another way of loading your pc with unnecessary things.

7. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

those external apps happen to do a better job of the task too :)

8. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

jkdefrag is really good, do a deep ass defrag with it first time you run it, then do a light defrag every week or so after

9. Gigabot

Gigabot OSNN Senior Addict

I use the normal Windows Vista Defragmenter tool which automatically defragments my disk on a scheduled time. Are there really any advantages of using other software besides the one that comes with Vista?

10. tdinc

tdinc █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User

I used to use Diskeeper for my windows box, too many weird errors after i used it.
    jkdefrag is freeware/open source and does a super job and I never hasd any issues.

I also recommend Auslogics Disk Defrag, and defraggler (the same developer that created CCleaner. good stuff :)

11. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

I am really digging defraggler for it's individual file feature, I love defragging temperary folders and logs which are dynamic, saves alot of time over defragging the entire disc for a few distorted files

most programs can now defrag a specific file but defraggler is the only program I've seen able to defrag an individual folder...really kewl stuff

12. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

I believe there are better schemes for where the files are placed on the disc, my preferance for a paid program is perfectdisc