Disk Cleanup corrupted by "PC Clean"

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by AndyD, May 23, 2002.

1. AndyD

AndyD Guest

Hi, this is my first post and I'm looking for some help.

I installed PC Clean v3 (as mentioned on the Xp-erience website) on my Win XP Pro system and it went horribly wrong. The temporary file cleaner went into a permanent loop and assumed that all 80,000 files on my hard-drive were temporary. Fortunately it did nothing more than crash out....

The problem arose when I uninstalled the software and attempted to run the disk cleanup facility from my hard drive "properties" dialogue. It now reports that the disk cleanup program is either lost or corrupted. I can manually find the disk cleanup program in the windows directory and run it successfully but Windows XP still thinks it's corrupted.

Can anyone please advise me on how to fix this problem?

Many Thanks

Andy

2. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Do a system restore to before you installed the program. Hope that helps.

3. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

Beat me to it;)

4. AndyD

AndyD Guest

Hmmm

Thanks for the reply.

I had the same idea to start with.. but system restore has been turned off completely. Now I know I didn't do it so the sticky finger of blame is being pointed at PC Clean.

My friend suggested a repair to the XP installation... would this need to be done from DOS or will it run from Windows

Thanks

Andy

5. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

Fat32 or NTFS?

6. AndyD

AndyD Guest

NTFS...

7. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

I hate to tell you to repair it, there might be somebody who knows more about it, that can help you.

If all else fails repair it, hope you made backups:confused:

8. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question:eek:

If your going to repair it, boot up your computer with the XP CD, choose the repair option.

I would wait for awhile though, somebody with more knowledge might answer give you a better solution

Good Luck;)

9. AndyD

AndyD Guest

Slight complication

Thanks.

Slight complication for you. I've tried rebooting with the XP CD and when the setup program runs it tells me there are no partitions to install onto. I am running a striping raid config yet XP Setup has stopped finding it. :confused: It just forces me to exit setup..

But I can boot just fine to Win XP but have this rather annoying problem with disk cleanup.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Andy

10. Iceman

Iceman Moderator