Discovering passwords for users on the same PC

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by jonifen, Dec 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

I am currently "Administrator" on a pc used by the kids.
    However I need to get on using one of the accounts used by one of the kids to fix their email (they managed to delete the password in Outlook for the account - I dont want them to know the password for the email).

Is there any way (without changing their password) of getting in on their account to fix the Outlook? Or should I say, is there any way of the Administrator finding out the password used by a normal limited user without resetting it?

OR, can I fix their Outlook without logging in on their account? If so, how?

Thanks in advance,
    Jon

2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Outlook is only a mail client, there is no internal authentication to manage. The password would be modified on the server, say yahoo or hotmail for example. Or, if it is from y our ISP, say Comcast, you would need to contact them and they could reset the password. What is the domain of the e-mail address?

3. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Um, correction. Outlook Personal Folders can have a password. I've set one on mine. Everytime I open Outlook now, it'll ask for a password.
    However, I know nothing about password retrieval. sorry.

4. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

OK I totally misunderstood the post. It looks as if you know the password for the Outlook (e-mail account), but they have deleted it and you don't want them to know it.

Can you have them logon, and when they aren't looking enter the password?

As far as windows goes, you can't view their passwords, only change it.

Here are some password recovery options:
    http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm

jonifen likes this.
  5. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

You can use any number of free password crackers around the net.. Below are two I recommend.. both can do dictionary based attacks (you can download dictionaries) or do a brute force attack. Dictionary attacks are very quick.. Brute force attacks can take days depending on the length and complexity of the password. If you are really pressed for time, have a lot of disk space and/or bandwidth, look into using a high quality removed.

removed
    removed

Happy cracking.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2005
  6. Unlord

Unlord OSNN Junior Addict

well i usually use a program called WatchDog, u can find it on www.download.com. It basically records what's been done on a pc. dunno if that's what ur looking for.

7. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

You are going to have to reset it. Discusing password cracking is not allowed on these forums, sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.