Disco

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
If you've not heard of Disco, then head over to http://discoapp.com/ , it's basically a disc burning app designed by the guys who made AppZapper (and if you've not heard of AppZapper, where have you been!?).

I just received my beta, and am playing about with it now... so far, very impressed :D anyone else beta testing ?

Some screen captures...

picture1pc2.png

picture2qf3.png

picture3vr4.png

picture4vo4.png

picture5iq0.png

picture6yp4.png

picture7kh0.png

picture8ag5.png

picture9qz6.png

It is such a fun app to use, and I have no idea why. I keep trying to find CDs to burn. Its insane.

Anyways, you got anything that will run Smoke or is it just not ready yet? It says my gfx card is underage as well.

It's quite possibly the best name ever for an app.

It is such a fun app to use, and I have no idea why. I keep trying to find CDs to burn. Its insane.

Anyways, you got anything that will run Smoke or is it just not ready yet? It says my gfx card is underage as well.
The Smoke will work on my iBook, however, I'm yet to try it :)

Explanation:
.....But then came a month of optimization. During this optimization, the smoke algorithms moved from the CPU onto the graphics card, back to the CPU, and then to a hybrid of both. Now, the GPU is acting as a fast parallel processor - it’s doing most of the work, but most of what it’s doing are the science calculations, not just rendering. That’s pretty cool, and my Googling tells me that the science visualization peeps think it’s a good plan, too.

Unfortunately, doing the computation on the GPU means that the GPU needs to be able to talk about floating point numbers. Intel GMA 950 integrated GPUs don’t, which is why we’re not currently supporting Smoke on the new MacBooks and Mac Minis. I hope to have a solution in place that will work on these machines, without the mouse interaction, sometime soon. And, just by the way, the GMA 950 pisses me off. Who doesn’t support floating point textures in 2006!!??

So we can thank Intel for the lack of fun on our Minis and MacBooks. You can read the full background on the smoke here: http://discoapp.com/blog/?p=23

thanks a lot intel, your gfx cards suck hairy balls

LARGE hairy balls. Thankfully the developers are willing to work on it though (I think the volume of MacBook users would mean they'd get more ear-ache for not doing it :D)

Looks like the beta will be opened to all on Monday at the introductory price :)

Sweet. Can't wait that long though? Anyone wanna help a brotha out? :p

Beta2 is being released on Monday with CD-RW and DVD-RW erasing capabilities.

Teh smoke screen shotted in action.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    79.1 KB · Views: 124
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    77.9 KB · Views: 135
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    70.8 KB · Views: 114
  • Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    99.7 KB · Views: 102
There's a video of it in action on the apps home page :)

Used this the other day to make an ISO for X. The Smoke option was available, but nothing happened when I made the image. Does it only smoke when burning a disc?

Used this the other day to make an ISO for X. The Smoke option was available, but nothing happened when I made the image. Does it only smoke when burning a disc?
Would make sense... can't make smoke without burning something first :)

Just got round to installing this on my iBook, disappointed at the lack of smoke even though dedicated graphics are present... will have to wait for the intel workaround/bodge to see it in the flesh :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back