Disappearing Hard Drives

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by FoMoCo1, Apr 4, 2003.

1. FoMoCo1

FoMoCo1 Guest

As I turn on my PC it doesn't recognize my 2nd HD.

I have to go into Bios setup to boot config and "restore defaults". Then, restart in safe mode. Still not there. after another reboot(normal) it will be there like nothing happened.

My PC manufacturer says it is a windows problem and I should reinstall windows. Before I do that I thought I should querry here first.

80G
    30G
    24/10/40 cdrw

2. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

I would make sure that the jumpers are set correctly and they are plugged into the corresponding connector on the IDE cable.

Master = end of cable
    Slave = middle of cable

3. FoMoCo1

FoMoCo1 Guest

Set jumper as slave or cable select? as I have another hd on IDE 2 which is set as slave.

4. FoMoCo1

FoMoCo1 Guest

I think I can, I think I can...
    I didn't think that there was that much difference between slave and cable select, but It seems to have straightened it out for now.

5. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

I have found in the past that some drives (usually if you have 2 different manufacturer's drives on the same chain) require you to set them as slave or master. Sometimes they don't like to work on "cable select" Glad to hear it worked for you.

6. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

So much for the advise you got from the manufacturer. :rolleyes:

7. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

Its funny, because M$ would of told you it was hardware :)

I never use CS, just because it doesn't seem to always work, but setting the jumpers correctly and placing them in the right position on the cable does.

8. FoMoCo1

FoMoCo1 Guest

After only using a computer for about 2 years, this website has been the most help.
    I will definately recommend it to all my friends.
    Thanx people :cool: