Disappearing Hard Drive

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by wessleym, Jun 5, 2004.

1. wessleym

wessleym OSNN Addict

I've recently noticed that my secondary hard drive will disappear and then reappear (usually after a restart) from My Computer. When I've checked the BIOS, sometimes it shows up in hard drives and sometimes it doesn't. I think these are the warning signs of a failing drive, but I was wondering if anybody else knew anything. Thanks.

2. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Could be failing HD or even a bad IDE cable perhaps. Is there another device on the same IDE channel, if so any problems with it?

3. wessleym

wessleym OSNN Addict

I have two hard drives on the same IDE cable, if that's what you mean. Does that mean they're on the same channel? Only my backup drive is failing, not my primary drive. I think that would discount any problem with the cable, but is it possible that the power cable to the drive could be messed up?

4. Xie

If they are on the same cable then yes they share a channel. :) If only one of them is having an issue I would assume its that one HD. You could try switch power connectors and see what happens though.

5. wessleym

wessleym OSNN Addict

Well, I'm not having the problem anymore, so I can't really test much. I'll post again if I have a problem. Thanks, Xie.

6. Xie

I would make a backup just in case. :) Then you have it if it just up and fails.

7. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Could also be a weak power supply.