Disabling Windows File Protection on an existing install?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Punkrulz, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Punkrulz

Punkrulz Somewhat eXPerienced

Hey guys,

I want to disable the Windows File Protection from my current install of Windows XP. I think that in my process of creating my unattended install disks, I wound up changing something that now makes Windows File Protection come up when I first turn on my computer. As I am not too worried about viruses... I would like to go ahead and disable WFP.

I have seen one guide that can accomplish this, however it involved me opening a file with a hex editor, looking for a certain offset [I think it's called], and editing a line... The thing about that though was that they said if you can't find it, then don't continue any further... and I couldn't find it. Are there any other ways to disable WFP? I have removed it from the registry, but that also goes in hand with doing the hex editing on a DLL file... :/

2. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

Under:

'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon'

Add REG DWORD 'SFCDisable' and set to 'ffffff9d' to disable WFP.

I know some guides tell you to edit SFC_OS1.DLL but ive seen no need to do that.

Does setting the above not disable it for you?

You can disable the boot time prompting also:

'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon'

Add REG DWORD 'SFCScan' and set to '0'

3. Punkrulz

Yes, I have previously gone through and added that registry tweak, however in the guide I was reading they stated to add the registry tweak after editing that DLL file... so far it doesn't work, WFP comes up when I turn on my computer.

4. Punkrulz

Does anyone else have any ideas on this matter? I really want to get rid of this WFP thing, but I can't find out how to do it. :(

5. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User