Disabling "Set As Desktop Background"

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by prinsipe, Jul 10, 2006.

1. prinsipe

prinsipe Not Too eXPerienced

guys, do you know how to Disable the "Set As Desktop Background" feature?
    thanks for any help.......

2. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

hmmmmMMM Posting here just to seond that question and get myself subscribed to this thread...

I am curious and think if it is not tweakable as such should be.... M$ should even make it a visible option - because in a corporate situation this is just about the most of a gimme as something most corporate desktops would like "locked down" even if they are not slipstreaming and net installing crippled and customised installs anyway....

So post up - I wanna hear too.... Surely tweakable.... :ermm::devious:;)

3. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
    "NoDispBackgroundPage"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop]
    "NoChangingWallpaper"=dword:00000001

Mainframeguy likes this.
  4. prinsipe

Thanks for the reply but since I am not too familiar with regedit could you please make a step by step instruction how to do it? I would really appreciate it, i hope you will be patient enough to elaborate coz I dont want to mess up with my PC, thanks again

5. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

As always, backup the reg before changing it,

as a simple way of doing it, open a command prompt (start->run-> type "cmd" no quotes)
    and copy/paste / type this in

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop /v NoChangingWallpaper /t REG_DWORD /d 1

try just that one first, may not need the other one.

6. prinsipe

I have done it, but all it did was to remove the "Desktop" Tab from the display properties window. changing wallpaper is still available via right clicking a picture file then seelecting Set As Desktop Background

7. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

That will, by design, remove the Desktop tab from the Display Properties. If you want to remove the option to do so via a right-click, you should try his second option. And, fwiw (for what it's worth), I would recommend setting this at the HKLM level so that it's a global change.

So, try this:

Start - Run - copy and paste these into the dialog box and hit enter after each one. Remember to backup the registry before doing it and reboot to apply the changes -

reg add HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop /v NoChangingWallpaper /t REG_DWORD /d 1

reg add HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v NoDispBackgroundPage /t REG_DWORD /d 1

8. prinsipe

Followed your advices, the feature is still very much available

9. jimi_81

jimi_81 Moderator Political User

Googling, I found this:
    So.. remove this entire entry?
    use at your own risk i guess.. or backup!

10. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Should always do a backup when working with the registry ;)

Are these machines on a domain by any chance?