Disable System Configuration Utility Popup

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Grandmaster, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

I use msconfig to turn off a bunch of crap that wants to run at startup. However I get that annoying popup to show up as well. If I check the option to turn it off it won't keep my settings. So is there a registry tweak to disable this?

Attached Files:

2. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

odd. when i check it it keeps mine. (i think) but id be intrested in turning it off as well. Annnoying as sh*t

3. rushm001

rushm001 In the beginning...... Political User

You need to be logged on as an admin for the settings to stick. :)

4. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

I'm not sure why the option isn't "sticking," or what registry key it uses, if any at all. I'd have to monitor the change, but I can't reboot to try it right now.

Another option is to skip msconfig. Instead, check these three locations for startup items, make backups if necessary, and just delete them if they're useless.
    1) Start>All Programs>Startup
    2) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    3) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Last edited: Jan 14, 2006
  5. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

Grandmaster likes this.
  6. Grandmaster

Thanks, that solved the issue! (Well, after I turned off the system config utility)

7. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

No need to be afraid of the registry. :p
    Mike Lin has some nice apps though. Clipomatic is an awesome tool that I've been using for a long time. :)

8. Grandmaster

I'm not, used quite a few actually and my system is blazing away right now :D

The app just seemed easier.

9. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

GM, even if you check the box it should save your settings. When you reboot the new settings go into affect right away. The dialog is just confirming that you made changes and asks you if you want to restore those settings (which you would have to open up the utility and select normal startup; which means every thing is back on -- for those who didn't know).

10. rushm001

rushm001 In the beginning...... Political User

Still annoying though!

11. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

I can create a rule in kerio and prevent the registry change that causes the pop up.

you can do it free with the tea timer from spybot too

I posted a vb script a while back that prevents it from happening too, but you have to run the vb everytime you make changes in msconfig

I forgot where I posted that

12. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

here's the vb script;

Code:
    'xp_nomsconfig.vbs - this script will stop the Selective Startup on a one time basis when you adjust msconfig

On Error Resume Next
    Err.Clear

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    WshShell.RegDelete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\MSConfig"

If Err.Number <> 0 then
    MsgBox "You may need Administrator permissions to run this script" & vbcr & "or the registry entry does not exist.",4096,"Error!"
    Else
    MsgBox "The registry entry has been removed.", 4096,"Done!"
    End If
    Set WshShell = Nothing

13. Steevo

Steevo Spammer representing. Political User Folding Team

Not unless he has ownership of certain parts of the registry. In SP2 ownership was allowed only to system and named administrator, unless you specifically change it and take ownership of all child objects through parent objects or directly.

14. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Local machine "Run" registry entries affect every user. Current user "Run" registry entries only run for the user currently logging on. The same goes for the Startup folder. If in fact GM is making these changes as an Administrator it affects the machine. He will not have access to change Run options for another user unless he manually edits the registry or their Startup folder.

MSCONFIG only displays local machine "Run" and current user "Run" as well as the Startup folder for All Users (Common Startup) and the current user.

15. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

It's odd that you would use mconfig to do that. I have always read that using msconfig is not good because it don't work. Maybe what I ben reading is wrong ...