disable f7 key

_kC_

OSNN Senior Addict
hi, i have a laptop where the f7 key is stuck.

its a sony vaio and instead of buying a new keyboard for it, i was wondering how to disable the F& key altogether (i rarely ever used the f7 key anyway)
.. ive been searching google, and looked on microsofts site about scancode mappings, but cant find out how to do it.

anyone know the easiest way?

thanks

I rarely use any of the f keys myself. However, there is really no way you can disable it.

It's a program that runs at startup. Figure out what it is, and delete the entry. Reboot. ALL your 'soft keys' will be disabled.

hi, i have a laptop where the f7 key is stuck.

its a sony vaio and instead of buying a new keyboard for it, i was wondering how to disable the F& key altogether (i rarely ever used the f7 key anyway)
.. ive been searching google, and looked on microsofts site about scancode mappings, but cant find out how to do it.

anyone know the easiest way?

thanks
try to assign the key to an app that doesn't run again once it's already running...use an app that you have running on start up

to assign the key the app shortcut has to be on the desktop

right click, go into the shortcut box and hit your f7 key

also, you can use one of those portable roll up keyboards and disable the native keyboard

I would think there's a registry entry for f7 though, I would also think there's a gpedit thingy to configure

since this free app can disable the key I would think you can do it through the registry

Last edited:
thanks for the info, the guy has decided on a new keyboard instead, shipped to sony tomorrow, as they dont supply the parts, only ones i can find stocked is spares on ebay

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back