DirectX 9.0L will not be a DirectX 10 for Windows XP

LordOfLA

Godlike!
WE MANAGED TO glean a few facts about the upcoming DirectX 9.0 L we told you about here. DirectX 9.0 L is simply a renamed and refurbished DirectX 10 for Windows XP. It will make DirectX 10 games to work on Windows XP.
And games such as the upcoming Crysis won't work on the existing DirectX 9.0 c. they need a DirectX 9.0 L
One of the biggest issues is the fact that Nvidia or ATI won't have any mainstream or entry-level cards until at least mid- to end of Q1 2007. This suggests that if Vista tips up around the beginning of the year, gamers will be turned off by it.
Electronic Arts, the publisher of Crysis, wants to sell hundreds or thousands, even millions of copies and we doubt that Nvidia can produce and sell that many Geforce 8800 GTX and GTS cards.
It will be interesting to see whether the Windows XP Crysis will be different from the Vista ones. µ

Source: http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35110

Re: DirectX 9.L will be a DirectX 10 for Windows XP

Bizarre this U-turn, but I guess it will quel publisher worries, alot of people are gonna wanna play Crysis - its a huge asset for Windows Vista.

Wow, this is huge news for people that feel the only reason to upgrade to Vista is for DX10. Or just huge news in general. :)

This is great, it will be interesting to see the difference between XP DX9 L performance and Vista DX9 L & DX10 performance on all fronts.

Update:

I just found this updated article on the inquirer

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35140

I got my hopes up to, dammit.

Ah well I will still upgrade anyway.

Seems a little odd to have both DirectX 10 and 9L running on oneo operating system, I suspect the L beings Legacy not Longhorn (why the hell would they use the Vista codename? Wake up Inq. your sources are talking ****)

Must be some kind of emulation mode 10 can do to increase performance on DirectX9 apps.

Re: DirectX 9.L will not be a DirectX 10 for Windows XP

I adjusted the title to avoid confusion

Personally its becoming harder and harder to find good reasons for me to upgrade. Atleast right away, I will most likely wait a year or more. The only thing that might pull me sooner is DX10 and games that exclusively use it.

Well, isnt Vista slated to ship with DX9 (either it be 9c or 9L at this point) and MS is going to release DX10 shortly thereafter? If thats the case, then I'm sure the 9c/L system will be removed/replaced by the DX10 system when its finally released. I suspect you are correct about the naming of it, MS stopped using Longhorn quite a while ago, I doubt they would bring it back just for DX.

My take on it is similar to yours, it must be some sort of emulation. They are taking DX10 code and running it through some sort of emulation/translation in order to run it on DX9 hardware. So I'm sure there is going to be a huge performance hit.

Just did a dxdiag on an RC1 laptop I have here and it was running 10

Well my personal strategy is going to be a little different this time from when I got Windows XP pro.

Basically, my current PC (A fujitsu siemens 3.2Ghz ATI FX 9600 1GB RAM) PC is starting to get a little long in the tooth, so to up the ante I plan to buy a new PC with an athalon x64 processor when vista becomes available.

It might turn out more expensive, but will save the headache of figuring out what new motherboard to get if I went the self-build route, even if it means I pay a little more for the non standard Vista progam.

I plan to get it from somewhere like watford electronics or dabs (two good UK PC supplier firms) when the time comes.

I have DirectX 10 on my RC2 setup.

I wonder how many games in 2007 are even going to support DX10, is it even worth waiting to build a new rig around DX10?

I really need a new pc at home but i keep on putting it off and off, because i wanted to wait for next gen cards, but am i just putting it off forever?

Any advice?

my 9800pro gets a measly 38fps in dod:source...

Hmm, thats interesting that you guys have DX10. I thought it had been confirmed by MS that will not be releasing DX10 for vista till sometime afters its official launch. Very interesting....

Honestly lancer, I would say just build your new system in about two months. Wait for the new Nvidia 8800's to come out, then the prices of everything else will fall off. Then pick yourself up a 7950 for hopefully cheaper then they already are now. Just think about the expenses required to go to DX10. You would have to build your system, buy one of either Nvidia or ATI's DX10 cards, Nvidia's are rumored to start at $500, while a 7950 is ~300, and if you wait the 7950 should be even cheaper. And you will have to buy a copy of Vista, so say $300. The cost for DX10 gaming over DX9 is $500+, and I doubt there will be very many DX10 titles for some time. Look how long DX9 took to ramp up. Also.... the first gen DX10 cards might suck really bad for DX10, similar to the Nvidia FX series fiasco years back.

So in short, No... don't wait for DX10, just build a kick ass DX9 system.

i was looking really cheap, because as you say not many titles will evenbe DX10 ready anyway..

... i was looking at an x850pro, i really only play a few games, dod source, sometimes cs source and company of heroes.

Ah I see, well like I said, if you wait for the 8800's to come out then the prices will fall for everything else. The 7900 GT is already down to $250 - 275 after the 8800 it might drop down to or below $200, which would be an absolute steal.

I wouldn't buy any EA games for the PC, they are now bundling spyware with their games. http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/10/17/1319235

I read that this morning, I really hope its not true, if so... then well I'm sure EA will remove it soon enough. There are enough people getting pissed off about it.

Probably should have posted that in the PC gaming section though, there are actually two threads on BF2142 in there.

EA is going ahead with the advertising. They are fairly adamant about that. I don't see anything wrong with it. Its only the same as IE and Firefox allow sites to track with cookies. I'm sure you can find a way to block the communication with a packet filter somewhere.

People need to stop being paranoid - EA isn't going to do a sony and kill its own business :)

Uh, it specifically says it tracks your browsing habits when you are not playing the game. Tracking cookies can be blocked, easily, and are hardly the same thing. It is spyware, just as despicable as any other. I would never purchase another EA game.

Yes and so do 99% of websites with advertising on them. It will be just as easy to block EA's tracking as it is to delete a cookie, you just need to wait for someone to find the IP/Hostname that needs blocking.

EA already has advertising in its games. NFS Most Wanted comes to mind. Burger King, Axe, Cingular are all featured in the game in one form or another. I see nothing wrong with it unless it becomes annoying (like advertising on some web sites).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back