Direct Dial Up: Pre-existing Password??

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by mdbound, Mar 29, 2002.

1. mdbound

mdbound Guest

I'm running an upgrade version of xp pro (from 98se). when i used 98se, i had a direct dial in account that my friends used to dial in for direct head to head gaming. in xp pro, i've tried at least a hundred times to set up a dial in account for them again, but i keep getting hung up with the password and user names. when i assign them a user name and password, the password isn't retained by xp. once i set the user name and password and click ok, if i immediately click the properties of that account, the password has been changed by xp to: *************** (15 asterisks) in both the password and confirm password boxes. i can't figure out where this password is coming from, as i never even set passwords while in 98se. can someone tell me what i'm doing wrong? i can't figure out for the life of me, why i can't get my unique passwords to stick for these accounts. any help would be greatly appreciated. i've attached a picture to illustrate the problem, just in case it would help. thanks.

2. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

There is nothing wrong. Your password is still there. XP adds extra stars to make it harder to guess based on the number of letters in the password.

JJB6486

3. mdbound

mdbound Guest

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply, i appreciate finding that out. Now i guess i can start to troubleshoot the connection.