diff. btw. USB modem and Ethernet Modem?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Bretenn, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Bretenn

Bretenn Guest

what is the different between a usb dsl modem and dsl modem with ethernet card? do it really slow down the connection when using a usb modem?

2. Kevin Ar18

Kevin Ar18 OSNN Senior Addict

Well, the reason I don't use the USB connection on my cable modem is because I fear that the software side of the USB connection will use up more CPU resources than using an ethernet connection. Whether this is true or not, I don't know.

3. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Slowdown isn't a problem since the connection to the ISP is much slower than the USB interface.

4. Reg

Reg eXperienced!

I've used both the USB and ethernet side of my Toshiba modem. From what I can see, your choice should be based upon how fast your internet connection is. USB (at least 1.1) is a shared bandwidth bus. This means that you are sharing bandwidth between all of your USB devices. Most USB modems use the USB 1.1 standard which operates up to a maximum of 11Mb. If your system is using USB 1.1 and your cable provider limits your download access below say 3-4Mb, you will not notice any difference in speed whether you are using USB or Ethernet. I personally like using the Ethernet, mainly because I have a 10Mb connection (finally) and I run a network (which will soon be 1Gb internally).

5. Kush

Kush High On Life!

Very True indeed, also i would like to add that if u have a ethernet card why not use it and leave ure usb to other devices? because i dont see the reason u would wanna use the esb instead of the nic:happy:

6. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

1. use ethernet cuz you keep a usb spare.
    2. use ethernet cuz more O/S support the nic cards than the cable modem (if you were to try another O/S that is :p)
    3. I've found that USB activity uses slightly more cpu power than an ethernet card would... if you've not got the quickest PC of the bunch, and you'd prefer it to stay reasonably quick, go for ethernet...

i use ethernet cable modem, its easy to use, and a longer ethernet cable is cheaper than a longer usb lol.