diff. btw. USB modem and Ethernet Modem?

B

Bretenn

what is the different between a usb dsl modem and dsl modem with ethernet card? do it really slow down the connection when using a usb modem?

Slowdown isn't a problem since the connection to the ISP is much slower than the USB interface.

I've used both the USB and ethernet side of my Toshiba modem. From what I can see, your choice should be based upon how fast your internet connection is. USB (at least 1.1) is a shared bandwidth bus. This means that you are sharing bandwidth between all of your USB devices. Most USB modems use the USB 1.1 standard which operates up to a maximum of 11Mb. If your system is using USB 1.1 and your cable provider limits your download access below say 3-4Mb, you will not notice any difference in speed whether you are using USB or Ethernet. I personally like using the Ethernet, mainly because I have a 10Mb connection (finally) and I run a network (which will soon be 1Gb internally).

Originally posted by Reg
I've used both the USB and ethernet side of my Toshiba modem. From what I can see, your choice should be based upon how fast your internet connection is. USB (at least 1.1) is a shared bandwidth bus. This means that you are sharing bandwidth between all of your USB devices. Most USB modems use the USB 1.1 standard which operates up to a maximum of 11Mb. If your system is using USB 1.1 and your cable provider limits your download access below say 3-4Mb, you will not notice any difference in speed whether you are using USB or Ethernet. I personally like using the Ethernet, mainly because I have a 10Mb connection (finally) and I run a network (which will soon be 1Gb internally).

Very True indeed, also i would like to add that if u have a ethernet card why not use it and leave ure usb to other devices? because i dont see the reason u would wanna use the esb instead of the nic:happy:

1. use ethernet cuz you keep a usb spare.
2. use ethernet cuz more O/S support the nic cards than the cable modem (if you were to try another O/S that is :p)
3. I've found that USB activity uses slightly more cpu power than an ethernet card would... if you've not got the quickest PC of the bunch, and you'd prefer it to stay reasonably quick, go for ethernet...

i use ethernet cable modem, its easy to use, and a longer ethernet cable is cheaper than a longer usb lol.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back