dialup modem keeps disconnecting!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by dadecamp, Oct 25, 2004.

1. dadecamp

dadecamp under worked, over paid

For some reason my modem keeps hanging up and then redialing. This goes on time and time again while opening web pages, downloading software, or sending receiving email. This is quite frustrating since it is a shared internet connection with three other computers in my home.
    It will stay connected if there is no activity but only stay connected a few minutes at a time while busy.
    I have win XP sp2 on all computers and one is the dedicated internet connection/server.
    Can anyone give advice on fixing this?

Thanks

2. dadecamp

Doen't anyone have any advice on this? :confused:

3. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

I had that problem when I was on modem too. I didn't solve it until I finally just changed ISP (way before I got broadband though). The it stopped for the most part. Before that I changed the modem, but that only helped a little bit.

4. devynal

devynal The Idiot Circus Boy

May want to see if there are updated drivers for your particular modem. Do you have another modem you could test the connection with? Also you may want to have the phone company test the line for noise to see if that's causing issues.

5. dadecamp

I do have another older modem that I can try but it seems strainge that it worked great for a while. I built this PC out of old hand-me-down parts only about 3 months ago and the modem worked fine until about a month back, not long after installing SP2. The modem is a new cheap generic with a intel chip. The old one is a Zoom.

6. ThePatriot

ThePatriot -=[BOHICA!]=- Political User

Yup, sure sounds like line noise to me.