Desktop Resurrection - Productivity Powerhouse

That includes your "My Documents". Not just your desktop. Everything should be organized.

Yeah - that will be next.

How does everyone quickly access applications used frequently? I've noticed that most people don't use quicklaunch.

I hate qlaunch and desktop icons of any sort. I set my start menu to show the four most used applications (as well as IE and Outlook). Any thing else I have to get to is neatly organized in my start menu (all programs).

When you mention 4 programs, how high can you set that to? I have a batch of frequently used, but slightly higher than 4 I beleive. Can you post a screenie of your start menu?

kcnychief said:
Yeah - that will be next.

How does everyone quickly access applications used frequently? I've noticed that most people don't use quicklaunch.
I'm a keyboard junkie, so if I have Windows Desktop Search installed (on 32-bit XP), I use two-character aliases to launch stuff from the deskbar. Very quick and convenient.

On my desktop with XP x64 (no WDS...yet), I rely on Quick Launch (only IE, Fx, and Show Desktop) and the Start Menu pretty much.

NetRyder said:
I'm a keyboard junkie, so if I have Windows Desktop Search installed (on 32-bit XP), I use two-character aliases to launch stuff from the deskbar. Very quick and convenient.

"Two-character aliases" - is that fancy jargon for keyboard shortcuts? Perhaps it's time I re-read your review on WDS :)

NetRyder said:
On my desktop with XP x64 (no WDS...yet), I rely on Quick Launch (only IE, Fx, and Show Desktop) and the Start Menu pretty much.

Why would you waste space by having the "Show Desktop" - when it can be done easily with the Windows Key + D - Mr. Keyboard Junkie?

Derek, I will post a screen once I finish moving in.

OK - I have to admit I only skimmed the review (will read more when I get home), and it looks very exciting. I do have one question though, and not sure if I should post here or in that thread.

In regards to launching the application by defining, like this -

@fx,=firefox
@fz="C:\Program Files\Filezilla\filezilla.exe

Also just noticed you made a typo there ;)

Anyways, since this is a one-time thing, can these defines be exported and restored after a format?

kcnychief said:
"Two-character aliases" - is that fancy jargon for keyboard shortcuts? Perhaps it's time I re-read your review on WDS :)
Yes, it's mentioned in the review. Basically, you setup aliases for your most frequently used apps. That's a one-time process. You can then launch apps by simply typing in two letters into the deskbar.
For example, "ie" is Internet Explorer, "fx" is Firefox, "ol" is Outlook, "vs" is Visual Studio and so on. :)

Why would you waste space by having the "Show Desktop" - when it can be done easily with the Windows Key + D - Mr. Keyboard Junkie?
It's one of those default icons there, so I just never removed it. I have to admit - I've barely ever used it though. Maybe I should get rid of it. :D

That icon is a default, and a waste of space. Someone who uses the Qlaunch (formerly at least) as heavily as I did, I always removed it. As well as programs that installed there by themselves which I didn't care for.

EDIT: Those shortcuts are fecking amazing - that is a selling point enough for me in regards to that application :)

kcnychief said:
I am starting to like a lot of the simplicity seen in the Desktop Threads - where people have a few buttons for their program groupings.

Also having a keyboard with a crap load of shortcut buttons helps lot :p

kcnychief said:
In regards to launching the application by defining, like this -

@fx,=firefox

Also just noticed you made a typo there ;)

Anyways, since this is a one-time thing, can these defines be exported and restored after a format?
What typo?
And yes, you can backup and restore your aliases. Just look for the WindowsDesktopShortcuts.ini file in \Documents and Settings\[Username]\Application Data\Windows Desktop Search\ :)

kcnychief said:
EDIT: Those shortcuts are fecking amazing - that is a selling point enough for me in regards to that application :)
Definitely.
They don't even have support for aliases in the Vista search bar. I was so disappointed.

Don't need that - you can customize most anything and set your own CTRL + key shortcuts

NetRyder said:
What typo?
And yes, you can backup and restore your aliases. Just look for the WindowsDesktopShortcuts.ini file in \Documents and Settings\[Username]\Application Data\Windows Desktop Search\ :)

Well, unless I am mis-understanding, don't you name it first, as in firefox, and then point to the path? If that's the case, you called it firefox and pointed to Filezilla.

As I said, I only skimmed it, might have misunderstood :(

EDIT: OK - probably should have read it more carefully.

@fx,=firefox

fx is what you gave to firefox
fz is what you gave to filezilla

What other applications besides iexplore and firefox don't need the full path?

EDIT 2: Does it just recognize the .exe names? Such as iexplore=iexplore.exe and firefox=firefox.exe?

So, following that pattern, you could just type in winword and it would open up MSWORD, and so on? Then the fx and fx as you posted above are just to shorten your typing?

Hahaha, sorry I didn't read it better. Makes good sense now :)

kcnychief said:
Well, unless I am mis-understanding, don't you name it first, as in firefox, and then point to the path? If that's the case, you called it firefox and pointed to Filezilla.

As I said, I only skimmed it, might have misunderstood :(
Yeah, you'll need to read it more carefully. :D
Here's the part that you missed:
The initial @ tells the deskbar that you’re defining an alias. You then give it a name (like fx or fz), followed by a comma, the ‘=’ character and the name or location of the application you want to launch.

Haha. With all those edits, I'm not sure if you got all your questions answered. Anything you still need to know that's not already in the review? :D

Didn't re-read it all the way yet - will when I get a chance to play a little tomorrow.

For time being, questions are answered ;)

Also - isn't "firefox" and "iexplore" the same as typing that in the Run Dialog box?

kcnychief said:
Also - isn't "firefox" and "iexplore" the same as typing that in the Run Dialog box?
Exactly. If it works from the Run dialog, it'll work from the deskbar (prefix it with "=" in the deskbar, of course).
The difference is the Run dialog doesn't support aliasing. :)

And by aliasing, you mean changing firefox to "fx" - right?

kcnychief said:
And by aliasing, you mean changing firefox to "fx" - right?
That's one part of it, yes.

You can do other fun stuff with aliasing too - set up shortcuts to URLs that you can pass arguments to. For example, entering "wiki monkeys" into the deskbar would fire up your browser and bring up the Wikipedia article about monkeys. Or "maps pizza" could be used to bring up all the pizza places near your house on your preferred online mapping service.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back