Desktop Icons not large

Discussion in 'Desktop Customisation' started by J0sh, Jun 20, 2002.

1. J0sh

J0sh Guest

I see pictures of people with huge desktop icons in the desktop thread. How do they do that??? I see no option! I'm running at 1152*864.... is it just that they are running at a smaller resolution, or am I missing something???

2. stuy_b

stuy_b Guest

Rightclick on desktop , pick properties, click appearance tab, click effects button, tick large icons. :D

3. J0sh

J0sh Guest

4. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

Try making your own big icons with an icon editor such as icon edit pro or microangelo. Then you can make your own big icons.

5. J0sh

J0sh Guest

the icon i have on my desktop is the dent for seriuous sam, and when I open it with Micronangelo, it has sizes up to and including 128*128.... yet the one on my desktop looks like its 48*48 (i compared them, and i'm confidnet thats the size)

Why can't I at least make it 72*72? and why would they have sizes upto 128*128 if they can't be used?

6. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

Josh it mostly has to do with your screen resolution, if u have yours set high like 1280 X 1024, your icons will of course look smaller. So yes some of these ppl have their resolution set way down to get these effects.

also keep in mind some of these ppl are not using the normal windows shell for their desktop, and some others are using html wep pages for their desktops.

hope this helps :D

7. J0sh

J0sh Guest

Damn, thats what I was afraid of..... do you know how to get this effect w/out having to shrink my screen?

8. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

I don't, sorry josh.

if u ever figure it out or get an answer that works, please pm me the solution, cause I would like the same effect. :(

9. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

here you go! ;)

Icon size change for WinXP...

1.) Recommend changing your vertical and horizontal icon spacing to 72 (Display Properties->Appearance->Advanced->Item) before changing your icon size to 128x128, otherwise, your icons will overlap.

2.) Start Menu->Run->"regedit"(to open registry)->HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Control Panel\ Desktop\ Windowmetrics. Look for the Shell Icon Size Key. It will be set to match your current icon size. Right click on the key and Modify. Change the Value Data to 128. Hit OK. Exit regedit, log out of WinXP, log back in. Your icons should be HUGE in any resolution smaller than 1280x1024.

However, the change to 128x128 is universal, meaning that ALL icons on your machine will be 128x128.. including start menu... so i suggest that you have 72x72 or 96x96...

:D

10. J0sh

J0sh Guest

exxxcellent! Thanks a ton o_87!

11. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

Your Welcome! :D