design question

Discussion in 'Web Design & Coding' started by Joel980, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Joel980

Joel980 OSNN One Post Wonder

Hello friends
    I am desiging a site and I asked this other guy for help and he said to use frames before I use Flash, Applets or JavaScripts. What do you guys think? I have a long page that I am using a static menu on but he suggested using frames cause he says it would load quicker. Do you think that is correct?

thanks in advance
    Cuba Hotel Sports Jobs
  2. DwarfData

DwarfData OSNN Addict

Lancashire, UK
    Raw HTML will load quicker than a Flash website. Flash is great for 'rich' content. but from what you've described I think a HTML site would be fine.

However, the current thinking is that Frames are Evil

I would recommend using css for layout rather than frames.
  3. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

I used to code in frames, but honestly these days they are crud. I don't think load times are much of a concern as they used to be, as broadband or higher quality DUN lines are much more common in homes. Can you give a better mock of up what you are trying to accomplish?

Also, I have moved this to the coding and design section, welcome to OSNN :)
  4. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

stay away from frames..

stay away from flash menus

Use CSS for layout.. tables where necessary after CSS

Don't use frames..

oh, did I mention Don't use frames
  5. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

In The Void
    i removed frames from my site - mainly because IE would mess them up
  6. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

I agree completely. If you use frames then it sets your site back a decade. Use CSS and small Javascript libraries to achieve impressive visual effects. Check out Mootools for example.
  7. AllWeatherGal

AllWeatherGal Not Just for Fair Weather Political User Folding Team

SF Bay Area
    I just have to say how adorable I think your avatar is!!

Frames can be useful in specific situations, but in general, I agree with everyone else ... they're not the best design decision.

If it's formatting you need, CSS and/or tables (It's a cheap answer, but really easy) can achieve most of what you want.

However, if you have a mockup and general explanation of what you're trying to DO, we might be able to help a bit more effectively.