Deploy printers via GPO

Discussion in 'Windows Server Systems' started by BouncingSoul, Jul 15, 2010.

1. BouncingSoul

BouncingSoul Stranger Than Fiction Political User

I have linked several printers to a gpo and setup the pushprinterconnections.exe in the logon script. It works, but only for accounts in the administrators group on the domain. None of my regular domain users get any printers pushed out. I can manually add the printers when logged in as a regular user so I know they aren't denied that right. I'm still guessing it's a permission thing, I just don't know what to change to get it right. Anyone have any advice?

2. ZeroHour

ZeroHour ho3 ho3 ho3

There is a GP setting that allows non admins to install printer drivers so I am guessing that is where the problem is. Cant remember it exactly though off hand.

3. BouncingSoul

I think I got it. I followed steps on a site ( can't find the link atm) it told me to point the script to the location of pushprinterconnection.exe. This is wrong. You need to COPY that file into the script location and then browse to that location and set your switches and the what not. It makes perfect sense when you see it. So yeah, seems to be working now. Glad I got it fixed before school starts. Last thing I need is 600 people asking to install printers for them.

4. ZeroHour

ZeroHour ho3 ho3 ho3

Ahh you work in education, have you heard of EduGeek at all?
    EduGeek.net - The Front Page is a site I run for techies/network managers etc that work in schools any where in the world. Its all free to use and has tons of scripts etc and knowledgeable people on there if you want to take a gander.

5. BouncingSoul

Actually I spent quite a bit of time on that site just the other day. Might have even been where I found out about my solution!