Deleting Folders

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by manzikert, Jun 25, 2002.

1. manzikert

manzikert Guest

I'd be grateful for any advice.
    I have some files and folders which will not be deleted however hard I try, the error message being that they are in use by another program. I have tried to delete them using the command prompt with explorer not running, but they will not go away. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

try to log off and then log on again.
    After this you can delete the files most of the time.

3. manzikert

manzikert Guest

Deleting

Cheers - I've tried this but am left with a number of stubborn ones which refuse to go away. I've also got a folder which has decided that it's read-only and won't change its mind whatever I do. Great. Thanks anyway!

4. Scoundrl

Scoundrl Guest

You can boot to the recovery console and remove them that way. For information on the recovery console look here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307654 .
    You could also figure out what is holding those files in use, it is probably some spyware or file sharing software like Kazaa. Run AdAware or Spybot to check out what spyware is running on your machine and shut down any file sharing programs you have running and try and delete them again.

TTYL
    Ken

5. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

Maybe you can delete the folders in DOS.

Boot to DOS with a bootfloppy and try it there to delete the folders.

Hope this works :D

6. Scoundrl

Scoundrl Guest

You will probably not be able to do it with a DOS boot floppy. It really depends on the file system if it's FAT32 then you can use a 98 startup disk but if it's NTFS you will need to do it with the recovery console which is kinda like the DOS but not really.

Ken

7. Critic

Critic Guest

You could always use ERD Commander (Winternals),

great tool, boot dead systems and repair stuff like this usually not a problem, good ntfs support.

8. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Don't forget that to remove files from a prompt screen the command is 'del'. To remove folders it is 'rd'. :D