deleting "access denied" files

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by dubstar, Mar 16, 2003.

1. dubstar

dubstar format c:

are there programs out there that can over power these files? it would make deleting virus's so much easier!!

2. Bretenn

Bretenn Guest

goin to safe mode can delete some of the file...

3. jroc

jroc Guest

so more info would also be nice...instead of something so vague...maybe the folder in which they are contained is set to "read only"..then you have to right click on it..go to properties..and uncheck the "read only" box...or sometimes even a single file is set to read only....also if your running XP..be sure you are logged in as the Administrator.

4. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

Or ifts it what I think reboot ...... shut off auto protect on your virus scanner then go to the file right click and delete empty recycle bin and re-enable your virus scanner

5. dubstar

dubstar format c:

kermit, you answer the question i never asked.

but the thing im talking about is virus normally transfered from kazaa to other files.. its just a .dat file, and its not "read only"...

i will try the safe mode trick as soon as im done decoding "x men" to mpeg for my vcd.

thanks.

6. XP Abuser

XP Abuser Guest

i think that the virus scanner detected a virus and quarantined it but couldnt. cuz kazaa is still using the file, causing it to get stuck in a loop. close kazaa reboot, get your scanner and scan kazaa shared files or werever you downloaded to

should solve it:blink:

7. arson_nick

arson_nick OSNN Addict

A lot of files can show up as "access denied" for no good reason at all. Sometimes all you have to do is move everything else out of that folder and delete the whole folder.

8. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Login as "administrator"

9. XP Abuser

XP Abuser Guest

the best role :D

10. 82ross

82ross Guest

If your using XP, start up a command prompt change to the dir of the file, open taskmanager and end the explorer.exe process.

Leave taskmanager still running.
    Then in the command prompt type "del filename".

Go back to taskmanager, start new process "explorer.exe".

Make sure you close all other programs that could be using the file first.

Works for me as a last resort. Sometimes more simple ways work, like dragging straight to the Recycle Bin.

Update:
    Read futher back into the forum, this method is mentioned by xsivforce aswell.
    http://www.ntfs.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31054

A prgram to help with this problem was also linked there: http://www.gibinsoft.net/gipoutils/bin/moveonb.exe.

11. sboulema

sboulema Moderator