delay when applying wallpaper

Discussion in 'Desktop Customisation' started by muzikool, Mar 23, 2003.

1. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

When I apply a new wallpaper on my desktop, it always takes a good 15-20 seconds for the wallpaper to appear and for the Display Properties window to go away. This has always been the case, and I just now thought I'd ask about it. Anyone know why there is such a delay?
  2. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Midlands, England
    What are your sys specs.. and what screen resolution are you running at?

also I'm guessing that its a jpeg or gif image that you are trying to put on the desktop, does the same delay occur when you use a bitmap image? (there's plenty in C:\Windows\ to try with :) )
  3. muzikool

I've got an 800MHZ PIII with 384MB of RAM, running at a resolution of 1024x786. I am using jpeg images, mostly from sites such as DeviantArt and Digital Blasphemy. Strangely enough, when I apply bitmap images, they show up immediately with no delays. I suppose I could convert my wallpapers to bitmaps, but that would take up much more space.
  4. rettahc

rettahc Guest

I think the delay is normal if you set a JPG as your wallpaper.
    If you wanna have some real fun set an animated gif as your wallpaper and tile it.:p
  5. dubstar

dubstar format c:

Southern California
    last time i take advice from you! lol. :blink:
  6. rettahc

rettahc Guest

What didnt you have fun doing that?:D
  7. muzikool

Alright, I hope that's something they work on in Longhorn then! Like I said, I've been living with it for quite a while, I was just curious and looking for some info in case there was something I could do.
  8. RagnaroK

RagnaroK Must be dreaming...

Try setting a GIF as your wallpaper on stretch! :D
    Feel the laG! (Well for slow computers, anyway...)
  9. Gus K

Gus K NTFS abuser

If you are using XP, that is not normal. BMP or JPG they should both behave the same.
  10. yoyo

yoyo _________________

If you use a jpg image, XP converts it to a bitmap first. This may explain the lag in applying the wallpaper. The converted bmp image is stored in
    C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Wallpaper1.bmp
  11. muzikool

Good point, I knew that the current wallpaper was stored there, I just never put two and two together to realize that the image had to be converted. I suppose if I get myself a fat hard drive someday then I'll just convert my wallpapers to bitmap, because the delay sucks.