Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by l2pc-hack, May 8, 2002.

1. l2pc-hack

l2pc-hack Guest

i need your help, when i defrag, it takes for ever, i have a 20mb hard drive, running ntfs file system,amd 950 processor. it sometimes takes 30-45 minutes. is this normal?
  2. Sprung

Sprung Guest

Sounds pretty close to normal. You might have had an extreme amount of fragmented files, and it just took a while.
  3. l2pc-hack

l2pc-hack Guest

no, actually, it always says i dont need to defrag,even if i do it twice, it still takes that long
  4. l2pc-hack

l2pc-hack Guest

maybe this is normanl, im was just spoiled with 98, and norton speed disk i guess,
  5. Sprung

Sprung Guest

The access speed of a 20MB HD is quite slow, compared to today's speed. Gotta figure that in too.

That is unless you mean GB.:)
  6. l2pc-hack

l2pc-hack Guest

oh, silly me, your right again lol, i do have a 20gb
  7. l2pc-hack

l2pc-hack Guest

thx sprung for the help, i guess i needed to here it from someone this was normal,
  8. Sprung

Sprung Guest

No problem :)

Normal is such a relative term though...:D
  9. Fhuising

Fhuising Guest

You can also use a program called Diskeeper to defragment your hardrive, it's a bit faster and also better than the windows one.

10. ghayes

ghayes Microsoft MVP

Just about every commercial defragmenter is better than the built-in defragmenter. You mention Diskeeper. There is also:

PerfectDisk -
    O&O Defrag -
    Defrag Commander -
    SystemWorks -
    Vopt -
    Ontrack -

- Greg/Raxco Software

Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support department.