Defrag Question

W

westy1

Just a quick one! When defragging do I need to close anything down in "windows Task manager" under the processes tab ?

you shouldnt have to westy ...

Just close the programs in your system tray (next to clock)

if Defrag keeps restarting itself you might have to ....

There shouldnt be any problem working while defragging, although obviously your work will go slower since the disk is thrashing. The files you have open will be locked, and wont be defragmented, but that shouldnt be a big deal unless you have dozens of apps open, and even then it shouldnt effect much in the scheme of things.

XP isnt like 9x, where every little disk access restarted the defragmenter. XP is smarter than that now.

Usually the only thing that will trip up the defragmenter will be disk errors, which it *should* pick up on, and will tell you to do a chkdsk (the XP version of scandisk).

Which defragmenter are you using? The one that comes with XP, or another one?

i defrag in safe mode so that there nothing running in the back ground

im looking for perfrect disk to use but im useing diskeeper 7.0 right know dose the job well !!

You shouldn't have to close down any of your applications. The MS defrag APIs allow even files that are open for use by other process/applications to safely be defragmented online - the MS defrag APIs take care of all of the low level I/O synchronization that has to happen for this to occur. There are only a few exceptions: the page file, the hibernate file. While people are used to shutting down apps under Win9x/Me in order to defragment, this is NOT the case with Windows NT 4, Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

- Greg/Raxco Software

Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a commercial defrag utility - as a systems engineer in the support department.

At the moment I am useing Norton 2002 to defrag, would I be better off useing the Windows XP defrag.

If you run Diskeeper, then set it to run every day... I run it and it's done within a couple minutes (the first few took some time to complete). I have my temporary internet files on a ramdisk too which helps keep fragmantation down.

The longer XP stays on a system, the better it runs. Avoid Norton's Speed Disk for now because it's my understanding that it conflicts with XP's native optimization cycle.

With Diskeeper I was pleased to notice that I could still use my computer and performance was only marginally affected while it was running... I even had my Mp3 player going and never skipped a beat :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back