Defrag ALL the files?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by LS1, Feb 12, 2003.

1. LS1

LS1 Guest

Is there a way to defrag all the files on my drive in Windows XP?
    I've used Windows defrag and O&O defrag but they always seem to leave directory files spread across the drive. There must be a way to move these isn't there?
    Thanks
    LS1

2. chaos945

chaos945 Moderator

I like Diskeeper, gets the job done for me defrags MFT too.

3. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

imo...perfect disc does the best job of consolidating your files.

4. 2z

2z OSNN Gamer

Hi LS1

Welcome to ntfs :D

PerfectDisk is another one that will consolidate directories [edit] beat me to it dealer :p

one thing I have noticed though

neither do a very good on NTFS >> on the next normal defrag the directories spread out across the drive

on a FAT drive Diskeeper consolidates the directories to the front of the disk & they stay there
    where as PerfectDisk on FAT consolidates the directories to the centre of the free space

IMHO directories dont really need to be consolidated on NTFS
    the directories location & attributes are already logged in the metadata system files ........ eliminating seek time issues

:cool:

5. Gus K

Gus K NTFS abuser

I think that sometimes there is too much concern about de-fragging. XP likes to move things around. One thing about Diskeeper, though, their boot de-frag definately speeds things up. Although according to them it seems like you should be de-fragging almost daily.

6. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

I use Diskeeper and I have it set to defrag every night around 4am. This helps a ton compared to the past when I did it once every week or two. Also, if you don't defrag fairly consistently, then you will most likely have to run the utility several times to get down to 0 fragments. So don't be too surprised if it doesn't get everything the first time. The utility that comes with Windows gets the job done, but my main complaint is that it takes much longer to complete than Diskeeper.

7. napalmnthemorning

napalmnthemorning Moderator