Defender Pro Anti Virus problem

ZionJudah

OSNN Newbie
I'm using Defender Pro Anti Virus 2007 now.

Now normally when I start it up and icon appears in my taskbar and when I click on the icon my Anti-Virus window pops up and also when I go to Start and Programs the Anti-Virus window pops up.

Now, whenever I start the computer the Anti-Virus icon doesnt appear in my task-bar. What's worse is that when I click on in Start-Programs, it doesnt pop up. But then when i click again, it says that the Anti Virus software has already been started, but still no window pops up. So it seems like nothing is happening.

But when I go to Task Manager and go to the Processes tab(I'm using Windows 2000), its says that the program kavsvc.exe is running and taking up up to 99% of my CPU, and about 28,456 K of Mem Usage.

And when I go into the Program Files for Defender Pro Anti-Virus I see a file in there called kavsvc.exe, but I dont understand what it has to do with the Anti Virus program, WHY its taking up so much CPU in the Task Manager Processes, and why my Anti Virus isnt working. And then when try to uninstall it, it doesnt let me uninstall it at all??

What is going on!!

So is it a virus?

Because:

1. It's stopping my Anti-Virus software from working EVEN though the file itself is located within the folder of the Anti-Virus software
2. It eats up 80-100 CPU and lots of memory
3. It WILL not let me delete it or stop it's process
4. The sites you sent me to send to be torn. They dont say whether or not it's a virus, and half the people on the file.net site think it's a part of the program and the other half have the same complaints.

I'm really weirded out by this file.

And why is it stopping my anti-virus software from working?

LOL. I dont know much about computers security and what not so please advise.

When I go to the Processes tab in the Task Manager folder it tells me access to the file is denied.

And when I go to the file kavsvc.exe in the Defender Pro file in my Program Files and try to delete the file manually, it tells the file is in use and cannot be deleted.

Now something else has happened. When I restarted my computer, it said it had an I/O error and that it couldn't log in or find my profile. Like normally I log in as Administrator, but this time AFTER I found a way to delete the file (I changed the name of the .exe file in question to some non sense and apparently the process couldn't link to the source file or something) and then Uninstalled and reinstalled Anti Virus. WHen I restarted the computer my whole profile had been wiped out. And ALL my personal files. Now only my original hard drive files and application remain.

What the *#(@$* just happened?

Last edited by a moderator:
What has happened to you is that the virus has overwritten the main file of your virus program once that happens you are now not protected from attack. Your computer is now open to many attacks.

Thanks. I sort of figured that that is what had happened since the amin file was stil there but the Anti-Virus was being blocked from opening.. Well what I did was edit the file, and delete it, then deleted the whole program. Now I've reinstalled the anti-virus and then my whole profile got wiped out. But I was able to find all my files saved in a folder in My Documents where it saves files etc. But basically its like starting over with a new profiles, even though I found my files.

I wonder if Defender Pro has this problem often? Should I switch back to Norton?

Thanks. I sort of figured that that is what had happened since the amin file was stil there but the Anti-Virus was being blocked from opening.. Well what I did was edit the file, and delete it, then deleted the whole program. Now I've reinstalled the anti-virus and then my whole profile got wiped out. But I was able to find all my files saved in a folder in My Documents where it saves files etc. But basically its like starting over with a new profiles, even though I found my files.

I wonder if Defender Pro has this problem often? Should I switch back to Norton?
Everyone has there favorite AntiVirus program mine is an all in one program called System Suite Pro by Avanquest it has A virus scanner /firewall/anti-spyware and a bunch of other utilities. THe best part is that they give our three licenses so you are good for two desktops and a laptop.
Go to this site http://www.v-com.com/index.html

Ok if ur still having problems try this
Get KillBox on the web, search by google, if u cant get it using the comp, as it seems u cant, just dl it usin a dif computer and transfer it to urs using usb,
now, have u tried logging in safe mode?
when restarting the comp as it starts up press the F8 button continuosly, even if it beeps, until a menu apears and it lets u go into safe mode, now go into it if you can, go into admin, if you can, if not a normal file should do,
then go into start>search and search for kavsvc.exe, but u already know where it is, so go to the file, open killbox, drag and drop the file into the input text area, and kill it... if that doesnt work, start disabling processes, u can do this by killbox, best way, just find the process button around killbox and press it, it should either open a process list to the right of the program, or open a list of the processes listed, start taking out processes from the top to the bottom, one by one, avoid system process, it shouldnt be a problem, u can even take out the explorer shell (explorer.exe) now everytime u take out a process try deletin the file, if that dont work keep on going, theres other combinations u can try to take out the virus, if that doesnt work im not sure...

Whats bothering me is i have the same file, and i have kaspersky... kaspersky anti-virus, really good program, never had trouble with it, and it has the kavsvc.exe running as well... it seems to be a legit program because whatever program i scan it with says its owned by the anti-virus... but why would a bitdefender have kavscv? maybe u dled it by torrent? or online source? and it musta attached itself somehow

if that doesnt work... im afraid ur gna have to reinstall the os

oh and a worms job is to eat up computer files... so even if u take it out.. ur gna have a long time figuring out how to fix the problem.... u might concider reinstalling the system...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back