Declaration of independance banned at California school

Steevo said:
Simply amazing how many people will not offend anyone unless its a JW. :lol:
Hey I don't give a damn who or what they are.I'll have a go at anyone who comes knocking at my door without being invited.
It's the JW's who are in this street every bloody week,then there's the Mormons who wanna preach to me and the friggin salesmen wanting me to change gas supplier's :mad:
What does it take to get though to these people?? I ask them nicely to go away the first time and not come back but they just ignore me :mad:

We get a lot of Jehovahs Witnesses, Mormons and sales people at our door, so i was over at my neighbors house, and he is the biggest pot head, and does whatever he can find.

So he he had made brownies, hash brownies, anywyas, he gave the Jehovahs Witnesses some of them, and they ate heartily, i however NEVER touch anything he cooks cause i want to stay away from any of that ****, anyways, we later drove into town, and we saw them lying in the middle of the gree, just laughing and whatnot. It was funny as all heck.

Never saw them again though.

haha maybe I should do something like that,the Mormon's are usually around on Sunday mornings:D
I have a huge bloody sign on the door,you can't miss it, telling these people not to knock.They all come out with the same excuse "I didn't see it till after I knocked" yeah right :rolleyes:

I have nothing against these people.My mother in laws boyfriend is a Mormon and my best friend from school is a Jehovahs Witness.I known her for years before I even found out, she just kept it to herself didn't try to force it on anyone :D
Just stop knocking at my door :rolleyes:

Where were these brownies?

/gets pen and paper.......

I've had a coupla run ins. Not sure how they get in here, as this appt complex has security gates.

One time, the person started to speak, and I got some look on my face, and didn't have to say a word. They could probably better tell what my facial expression was, then me...but I can be a bit expressive in terms of body language at times :D

Anyhow, the person got all of about a half a sentence out or so, and then

Oh, I see you've run into my kind before. OK, good day.

Doesn't do much about the pamphlets I've seen left at my door, or littered on my windshield though. Speaking of which...typically when they do this the parking lot has all these pamphlets litered all over the place. I can't say I don't just drop it in the parking lot and drive off myself however, as everyone else seems to do.

A second one wouldn't stop, but a "good bye" and shutting my door mid sentence on their part did the trick. I used to be more inclined to be more "polite" in such circumstances; but then I got enough of

Heading off to work, and MCI calls on my parents phone. The conv went like this:

MCI: Hello, we're calling from MCI and we can save you a lot of money on your long distance phone calls....

me: Umm, this is my parents phone

MCI: Wouldn't you like to surprise them, by saving them a lot of money on their phone bill

(Erm, my mother would scream if she knew someone switched her to MCI...she made that abundently clear to my father. Also, I wouldn't think it would be most proper in a legal sense, to switch the long distance carier, when the bill payer has not given their express approval for this change.)

MCI: But sir, our rates are so much cheaper, and blah, blah, blah, blah

me: I have got to go to work, and am already late. So if you'll excuse me

MCI: But sir, we're just trying to save you money, blah, blah, blah

/hangs up phone

I used to get calls from MCI on my UNLISTED number every night. I finally just started putting teh phone by a speaker while I was gaming or just setting it down. Those old make your computer talk programs are usefull too.

The whole political correctness thing is plain stupid and nuckin futs! :eek:

http://www.bluelemur.com/index.php?p=446

11/24/2004
Declaration of Independence ban at public school said bogus: Teacher reportedly forced pupils to listen to Christian dogma
Filed under: General— site admin @ 10:24 pm Email This
Declaration Of Independence banned!

The seemingly preposterous headline made major waves on the conservative Drudge Report and Fox News network Wednesday, joining Reuters and the Associated Press, in a misleading story that exhibited serious reportorial negligence, RAW STORY has learned.

The story, which reports that a California teacher has been banned from giving students documents from American history that refer to God, including the Declaration of Independence, is said a product of right-wing spin.

In fact, Cupertino public school principal Patricia Vidmar banned documents relating to God because the teacher had been forcing students to listen to what some felt was Christian propaganda, a media watchdog site reports. According to the site, the school had told him to stop but he did not comply, at which point the principal required that he submit his lesson plans to her in advance.

The teacher, Steven Williams, sued for discrimination and is now being represented by a conservative Christian legal group, Alliance Defense Fund.

Alliance Defense Fund boasts of other legal “successes,” including the right of Boy Scouts to refuse gays from ascending to leadership positions.

According to People for the American Way, a watchdog group, ADF was founded by 30 Christian ministries to serve as a counterbalance to the American Civil Liberties Union.

The organization defends the right of Christians to “share the gospel” in workplaces and public schools, asserting that efforts to curb such speech at work and schools are “anti-Christian.”

None of the major news agencies reporting on the story included quotations from the school or the principal, stating that a spokesman had referred them to a staff attorney. The articles suggest they did little research beyond the statements provided by William’s attorneys.

Reuters included scant information about the group who sued on Williams behalf, saying only that the group advocates “religious freedom.”

A media watch site, Seeing the Forest, first caught the story Wednesday evening.

“The school did not ‘ban the Declaration of Independence’ – that is just a lie,” Editor Dave Johnson, who is a fellow at the Commonweal Institute, wrote. “This story is like when you hear that a man was ‘arrested for praying’ and you find out he was kneeling in the middle of a busy intersection at rush hour and refused to move.”

California’s Education Code does allow “references to religion or references to or the use of religious literature … when such references or uses do not constitute instruction in religious principles … and when such references or uses are incidental to or illustrative of matters properly included in the course of study,” as William’s lawyers have pointed out.

It does not, however, allow for forced religious dogma in public schools.

***Do some research before you accept some story that has been fed to you by Fox News and the mainstream Sensationalist (not liberal) media.****

that's a great follow up article scurvy, and there's the other side of this story...it's exactly what I thought it would be in my first post on this thread

the truth at the heart of this article points out again what the wealthy owned big media right winged spin machine does to stories like this in these times, and these times are where we are today.

great first post scurvy, and welcome to this great board

the media uses catch phrases like "political correctness" to try to make points that aren't valid...it's a marketing scheme that works on too many people that is for sure.

"political correctness" translated into the real world.

"political correctness" is what the right wing and the media will call any situation that disagrees with what they want to present...especially if the disagreement is the law of the land and the principles that founded this great nation, then they claim "they are being politically correct".

when the right wing and the media want to present their point of view, and it is contrary to principles laid down by the forefathers of this country, and goes against the law, then they use the catch phrase "political correctness"..."too much political correctness" they say...

people fall for this media marketing nonsense.

this is where we are today, and this is what the wealthy owned media has done to our perception of reality

everyone's to blame...

our soceity is based on rumour and innuendo and litigations...

it is part of our brilliant contribution to civilised soceity...

For me, watching the news is like sharting in the tub. I really don't want to do it. These examples are a good reason why.

Kudos to Perris on wanting the other side of teh story.
A whole 4 rep points to Scurvy for finding and presenting it.

perris said:
the media uses catch phrases like "political correctness" to try to make points that aren't valid...it's a marketing scheme that works on too many people that is for sure.

"political correctness" translated into the real world.

"political correctness" is what the right wing and the media will call any situation that disagrees with what they want to present...especially if the disagreement is the law of the land and the principles that founded this great nation, then they claim "they are being politically correct".

when the right wing and the media want to present their point of view, and it is contrary to principles laid down by the forefathers of this country, and goes against the law, then they use the catch phrase "political correctness"..."too much political correctness" they say...

people fall for this media marketing nonsense.

this is where we are today, and this is what the wealthy owned media has done to our perception of reality
I am not disagreeing with you and not agreeing with you, BUT 85% of the people that I run into that are worried about being politically correct are the more democratic people. I'm a white person from an all hispanic area and have lived my whole life with people that aren't like me and the only people that worry about being "PC" are the white kids I went to high school and college with. It's a weird world huh? Just like the post earlier about someone living near I think an Indian family that didn't understand the christmas bashing.

also about the media the only side of the story I heard on at least 3 media outlets was that there was a chance that the teacher when asked about God being in the declaration of independence he went a little overboard with his views on religion. In that case it shouldn't be forced upon the kids. But then again you never get the whole story from the media anyway

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back