Deafult GPO settings

Discussion in 'Windows Server Systems' started by Marius, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Marius

Marius OSNN One Post Wonder

I need to find out if there is a way of setting default GPO settings in Custom Administrative Templates?

What I want to do is to Enable\Disable several settings instead of leaving it as Not Configured, is that possible?

Best regards,
    Marius

2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Which administrative template are you referring to, and why bother with that? Why not create a seperate GPO if you want to modify your settings, and then have it only apply to certain security groups?

3. fimchick

fimchick OSNN Senior Addict

Agreed with chief. If you want this to be a domain-wide policy then just create it at the domain level and enforce it. i don't like to do this because it tends to affect my servers as well, but I'm not sure what you're trying to do here :)

4. kcnychief

Even if you apply it at the domain level you could put your servers into a different OU, and exclude that OU from this GPO being applied. Just a rule of thumb I have used in my short experience, all servers have a different OU with a different GPO. But, I'm a control freak :)

Basically, what I have done is created an UBER restrictive GPO, and just loosened my grip in areas as problems arise that they need to be loosened in.

5. fimchick

Yes I know, but I was referring to an Enforced policy :) At the domain level it would then be applied to every OU even if inheritance blocking is on.

6. kcnychief

There is a way to block everything, that's all i can say :eek:

7. fimchick

Tell me :) If there's a way, then I definitely want to know! :)

8. kcnychief

The nights of the M$ round table would take away my knight-ship! I have a document at home, when I return I will PM you :)

9. fimchick

Sweeeet! :D

10. kcnychief

Ha, would be nice to hear back from the OP, incase I misunderstood his question :)

No offense tho FimChick, good banter :)

11. Marius

I asked for defaults, cause this GPO will be sent to some of my customers and I do not want to waste their time setting them up. These options must be enabled when GPO is imported. It is a KIOSK GPO.

12. kcnychief

If that is the case, I would just create a GPO, call it KIOSK or something similar. Once you have it setup the way you want it, export it where you are, import it where they are. You may use Microsoft's GPMC to do this.

13. Marius

Thank you, I will try this

14. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Defaults? If you read the description of each object it will tell you what the default is.

e.g. If this policy is set to Disabled or Not Configured then this will happen.

15. kcnychief

Good point. Something also to remember (which I made the mistake of the first time around) that if you set something to Disabled, let it apply, and then back to Not Configured, it stays Disabled. Sons of **** hehe