Dead hard drive: Need a data recovery service???

C

ChiroGeek

Hi all,
We had a rare electrical storm here in California (San Jose) which knocked out of power about 10 times over two days. I think this killed my 6 month old IBM Desk star.
The Drive just crashed while I was working in photoshop.
It does not appear to be spinning. I've tried all the usual tricks but the drive is lifeless.
I've got some super important data that I must recover.
My Question: Has anyone had any experience with one of those 'data recovery services' that you see on line???
I would appreciate any recommendations
Thanks in advance
Doug

Have you ever heard of the word: B A C K U P? You can't just expect the hard drive to last a long time and to keep your files intact as long as possible. The recovery services are expensive! Around hundreds or thousnands of dollars just to recover your files. If you've had burnt all your files to CD you will be ok!

I have to defend IBM here for a sec... Their products may not be that great NOW, but I remember a day when they were one of the best. I own a 20GB deskstar from the days when 20GB was brand new. I have owned it a good 5 years (maybe more... don't care to do the math) and I have yet to lose it. And those were the days when WD had the reputation that you speak of IBM having. I own a WD and a Maxtor now as well. When you start getting up into the 150+ GB range it's hard to keep everything backed up. Definately need a DVD-R drive now.

ChiroGeek: Like they all said... Data Recovery is expensive. I believe you will pay about $1 (USD) a meg. If it's stuff you can live without I would recommend you do so, and learn from your mistake.

You may not like IBM HD's, but they do make one of the quietest HD's!

that is definately true... or atleast it WAS. IBM no longer makes their own drives. Hitachi makes them for them. I have not purchased one of these drives, and I am a little weary to do so.

Yes IBM hardrives do go out. I know this really doesnt have to deal with this forum But i think there maybe a few factors. About a year ago my friend bought a 80 gig (120gxp i believe) and i also bought one. Ive had no problems what so ever however ....he's gone thru 3.....in 1 year. The real differecn between our computers (besides amd vs intel) is the case. I paid 95 for Enermax 710sb and he paid 30 for...well...a noname case with a crappy powersupply. It most likely doesnt have to deal with the powersupply but i have 3 quiet case fans and a dual ps fan....he has well....a cpu fan...a extremely loud one that makes trains sound quiet. his processor is always running at 58c at stock speeds. and case high 40s (he leaves his side case off) I run at about 27c pro and 27c system. I belive my hard drive at full loading throttle is about 32c. Cooling probably is the number one problem. When his hard drives crash i can usually tell by the horrible cringing sound they give out and imediatley put his pc in another (on secondary channel disable system restore and recyle bin so the drive is completly dedicated to just backing up) and backup all important info . I never had one where i wouldnt boot. Otherwise i love the IBM/Hitatchi and i belive Hitatchi always made their they just slapped a IBM name. However he did rma his 2nd one and well...2 weeks later it died. So he's on a new one and when im sleeping i can hear it speak to me. He doesnt need speakers....is hard drive is a damn good speaker ;)
Other than that I love the IBM hard drive i have. It's always relaible and fast. But even though ive never had a problem i always backup all info at least once a month. It's always good to be one step ahead!

Thanks for the replies.

This will be the 7th Desk Star that I have had to send back to Hitachi this year. They were all either 20 or 40 gig models. This particular one is an 80 gig drive.

They are dropping like flies on all the computer I build last year and this! Never again IBM for me.

As for the back-up. I do back-up monthly but unfortunately my back discs were stolen out of my car! (I've had a bad month) on the way to my office - which is where I keep all my backups - fire proof safe.

Is there a way to take this drive apart and swap discs with another IBM disc that is working? I've got a few other functioning drives just lying around?

Doug

ChiroGeek: A fireproof safe will not save your CD-Rs, bud. The heat that is generated inside a fireproof safe when it is in a fire is still substantial enough to melt those suckers down to piles of plastic. Also.. keeping CD-Rs in your car isn't a good idea because sunlight will destroy the writing surface.

Yikes!! Where should one keep crucial backups then if fire-proof safes won't protect them?????

The way my luck has been going...... who knows!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back