Ddr Pc3500 & Pc3700

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by silky62678, May 6, 2003.

1. silky62678

silky62678 Guest

Does anyone know of any Mobo's that can take this high of ram ?
    What about Asus A7n8x?

2. Bootsy

Bootsy Huh?

I believe that the A7N8X takes up to pc3200

3. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I don't know if the 3500 and higher levels are officially approved by JEDEC...

AFAIk 3200 is the highest recognised...

4. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

any ddr mobo will take pc3500 (433mhz) or pc3700 (466mhz). but you'd need an overclocked kt400 or nforce2 (eg. a7n8x) board to get it to run at 433 or 466mhz.

5. silky62678

silky62678 Guest

So i take it, there arent any mobos' that support them ?

6. canadian_divx

canadian_divx Canadian_divx

now without overclocking

7. silky62678

silky62678 Guest

how do u overclock a mobo? Maybe i read that wrong. U meant those boards are already able to handle ram like that ?

8. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

you can put the ram in and use it. but it will run at a slower speed (400mhz, 333mhz, whatever you have it set at in the bios). to get it to run faster than 400mhz, you'd have to set it to 400mhz and increase the fsb... which will increase your cpu and memory speed. aka overclocking.

9. silky62678

silky62678 Guest

Oh ok, I didnt know that it will also increase the ram speed when u overclock the cpu....

U learn new things everyday

10. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

yeah. also increases the agp and pci speeds as well. not really good things.

11. silky62678

silky62678 Guest

Right, i know the PCI and the AGP slots have to stay around a certain level or speed, but never knew it also increases the ram speed too. So in other words, "overclocking" overclocks everything "so to speak" not just the cpu and pci,agp ?

12. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

yeah, you overclock the chipset. which, of course, everything interfaces with. :blink:

actually, i think newer boards like the nforce2's can keep the agp slot at a steady 66mhz while you overclock the cpu and memory. i'm not sure about other boards or if this steadies the pci slots, as well.

anyone?

13. jumpy

jumpy Guest

On most newer boards, you have the option to lock agp and pci speeds. You can also usually select a memory divider which allows you to run the memory asynchronously (sp?) to your fsb, but generally p4's only benefit from running async.

Overclocking overclocks: cpu, memory and pci/agp (depending on board). Note that if you don't have a pci/agp lock for your mobo, the IDE channel also runs at a higher frequency so be prepared for hard drive corruption if you go too high.

14. silky62678

silky62678 Guest

and thanks guys for the Overclocking 101 :)

15. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey