DDR or SD RAM

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MMF, Aug 6, 2002.

1. MMF

MMF Guest

Dear Hareware expert

i need to know which one is better the DDR or SD RAM and which one will be used more in the future, shall i go for DDR Mother Board or SD RAM one.

Thank you

2. sdram still works fine(100, 133), but ddr is double rate, (200, 266) and rambus alot faster ( 400, 600,800)

3. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

If you have a P4 get RAMBUS 32 bit by Samsung for ultimate P4 performance. Ausus P4T533 is the board to get.

4. Reg

Reg eXperienced!

Actually RAMBUS is not that much faster than DDR even though it has a higher MHz rate.

RAMBUS has a 2bit pipe so even though the MHz is larger, data transfer can only happen over a small bus.

5. frothymilkshake

frothymilkshake OSNN Addict

DDR is faster. Hey catch23, my system bus says 400mhz. Is this what you were referring to?

6. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

no, frothy... very different. your system bus is more like 100mhz... but "quad-pumped" or some rubbish. via's soon-to-be kt400, for example, will run on a 133mhz bus like most modern motherboards, but the memory controller will run at a swift 200mhz (for 400mhz/pc3200 ddr). this should give better performance than pc800 rambus and maybe even pc1066.

and MMF, be sure to go with ddr. sdr is it's predecessor and is becoming a thing of the past.

7. DDR is the way to go.

What about all the recent news regarding DDRII? does anyone know when this will come out?

8. Jz1397-5

Jz1397-5 XP Bad Ass

DDR is going to be in a large part of the markets from now on. sd is kinda being phased out.

9. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

DDR = SDR+ 40 % .. So DDR is the future !

10. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

Go for DDR. It's Faster.

11. BlazinX

BlazinX justblaze.

DDR...its faster

12. Gary Pandher

Gary Pandher Moderator

DDR
    buh for a p4 i'd stick wid RD (rambus)..

13. frothymilkshake

frothymilkshake OSNN Addict

Well the sticker inside my casing does state "system bus 400mhz". My system is only a month old.

14. p4's run with a system bus of 400, or now 533 as opposed to the 66/100/133 of the p3