DCOM error "The service cannot be started, ..."

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by gonaads, Jun 23, 2007.

1. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

I keep getting this error in the "Event Viewer" under "System"

Now I have gone through the "Help" crap and looked at the "Services" and the "DCOM Services Process Launcher" has starter and is on automatic. I can't figure out what is associated with it that might be turned off.

bush dogg likes this.
  2. bush dogg

bush dogg OSNN Senior Addict Political User

Check your “SSDP Discovery service” and “Universal plug and play device host service” they should be started and set to “manual or automatic” whatever you prefer.

For some reason I’ve noticed the dcom error on systems the minute WMP11 is opened if either one of these services are not started and at least set to manual “SSDP and Universal plug and play device host service”.

gonaads likes this.
  3. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

I would disable SSDP Discovery, UnPnP & DCOM unless you actually need them, they are security risks.

bush dogg and gonaads like this.
  4. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

not lately they aren't. All known flaws are fixed in them.

gonaads likes this.
  5. j79zlr

Well unless you need plug and pray across your network, why have a service running listening on an open port?

6. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

most router firewalls use upnp to allow ports to be opened and closed on demand by apps that support it :) If you have a NAT router, its best to leave SSDP, UPNP, DCOM enabled.

7. gonaads

Now will disabling any of the afore mentioned services affect my Steam connectivity?

Check that... I have SSDP & UPNP disabled but DCOM Services Process Launcher on "Automatic" so I doubt that it's affecting Steam in any way. Hmmmm, I am gonna set SSDP & UPNP to "Automatic" and keep an eye on the Event Viewer. One thing though, I do use WMP 11 a bunch.

8. bush dogg

bush dogg OSNN Senior Addict Political User

If you use WMP 11 quite a bit with “SSDP and Universal plug and play device host service” stopped or disabled I would say that’s what’s causing the Dcom error to show up, I believe WMP 11 scans the system from time to time for connected devices/mobile for your play list.

If you don’t use an external device with your library on it then I would say it’s safe to leave the two above mentioned services to disabled/stopped and the Dcom error is just to let you know it tried to check for connected devices but couldn’t with no harm done.

I haven’t installed WMP 11 yet on anything I’ve got “nothing close by I could look at either” so I can’t check but you might look around in the options or preferences to stop WMP 11 from scanning for connected mobile/devices if you don’t use them…that should stop the Dcom error also.

9. j79zlr

It should be mentioned that the DCOM error is benign.

10. gonaads

Yeah, I had the feeling that it was.

Well the error is gone :) But now I get an error for the "Windows Update Agent" :s

I do have Automatic updates set to ask me if I wish to download and install updates. Go fig :p

11. j79zlr

Go to WU and manually check for updates. Sometimes there are some that get stuck.

12. gonaads

I usually do it manually, but now (for about 3-4 months) I set it to look for updates and then ask.

Thanks for all the help guys. :)