Data transfers cut out after 10-20 mins...

K

klutzo

I've been having some problems with Data Transfers like Downloads, Uploads, and Internet Access in general...
It seems to cut out all internet access in semi regular intervals of 10-20 minutes. Very annoying if I have large volumes of data to transfer... It does reconnect after about a minute, but by then Xfers from Newsgroups, FTP's etc. have been interrupted.

I'm running the following equipment:
- Linksys DSL/Cable Router
- Zone Alarm
- Win XP Pro

It did not use to do this when I was running 98SE... and 2000. (Or perhaps it just seems that way?)

I have another friend who says he has the same problem, but he is running Cable.

thanks for the help in advance gang.

I seem to be having the same prob on my WIn2000 Notebook.. perhaps I must have some sort of error in the way I setup my Linksys Router...

any suggestions here gang?

What is your connection to the router ?

Give some more details/

I have a DSL connection.

I've been trying to play around with the MTU settings to try to get it stabilized as well.

Other suggestions I've tried are to get rid of things like Morpheus (Not running) and Trillian, but on the WIn2000 system, none of those are present, and I still get strange timeouts.

Also tried moving ZOne Alarm settings from High to Medium on the internet side of things.

Thanks for the help.

I registered here just to make this reply. I had the EXACT same problem as you.

The internet worked fine for my old Win98, but then when I changed to XP, the same problem occurred.

What you have to do:

Update your Linksys drivers for Win XP. I cant remember the URL where to download these drivers but they shouldnt be too hard to find.

Enjoy your now working internet :)

thanks Chaos!

I actully was doing somemore surfing, and found the answer on dslreports.net I think it was... Basically my Router Firmware was revision 1.42, I reverted back to 1.39 and VOILA! Everything worked magincally!

Serves me right for trying to play with firmware upgrades.

If it ain't broke.. dun fix it!

i've got the same problem. I'm running dsl straight through the dsl modem into a 5 port hub with an uplink. I'm running xp pro with no firewall or anything like that. No matter what I try my computer drops my internet connection about every 10 mins. It's very annoying because the only way to get my connection back is to reboot my computer. Plz help my out guys.

Hey Shorty...

try upgrading your firmware...

It worked wonders for me.

upgrade the firmware on what?
i've only got a hub and the dsl modem and my isp won't let me upgrade the firmware on that. Plz help.

Do you have a HUB, or a ROUTER... big difference. I upgraded the firmware on my Router. I have a LInksys BEFSR41... if you have something similar, fo to your manufacturer's website, and download a firmware patch.. Make sure to have your existing one in reserve in case it does not work out, so you can roll back to an older WORKING firmware.

no i have the dsl router that i got from my isp and a digi 5 port hub. i can't upgrade the firmware on the dsl router as mentioned in my earlier post. i've got a temp fix for it though. just have windows display the network connect icon and when your connection goes down just hit repair and bam it's back up.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back