*.dat file - virus? trojan?

oerficus

OSNN Addict
Hi!
A friend of mine came up to me asking me a question I couldn't answer him yesterday. So hopefully you can.
When surfing through the web, suddenly a *.dat file cropped up on the desktop even though he wasn't downloading anything or so. So he asked me wether the file could be some kind of virus or trojan thing. I am not sure if it could be but I guess it would be too obvious placing such a file on the desktop of a computer.
So what's your opinion? Could it be some kind of virus or trojan? Or what else could be the reason for the file being there?

Thx in advance, Oerficus

PS: I certainly hope I am making no fool of myself asking this :)

I just did some looking at sysmantec... I did not see any viriie that were or caused dat files...

If he thinks it's a virus then a check is in oreder... Symantec and MicroTrendss do online scanning if he has no Av on his system...

who knows

isnt a .dat file a microsoft office file format?did ya scan it?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back