Cyclic Copy??

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Hipster Doofus, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

I've made myself a cmd file to backup all the files I want to save onto my E drive. Everything goes well but it will not copy two files in the root of E into their own folder. Similar files on C & D copied OK. The error I get is 'Cannot perform a cyclic copy.' What the hell does that mean? It's not an issue with the backup as it was only two files & I manually copied them across. It is more of information gathering I'm after as to what this is. :huh:

2. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

cyclic copy means you are copying the same thing? Confusing.

From MS:

"Explanation:
    When using the Xcopy command, followed by the /s switch, you cannot copy to any subdirectories that are a subset of the directory you are copying from.

User Action:
    Specify a destination that is not a subdirectory of the source directory. "

3. Hipster Doofus

Thanx for that. :) Now I just have to figure out what ms are trying to say. :rolleyes:

4. j79zlr

you cannot copy C:\ into any folder on C:\

copy C:\ C:\Windows will return the cyclic error. The source cannot be a subdirectory of the destination directory. It is cyclic because as you copy more of C: into C:\Windows then it is adding to the source so it keeps copying the new files....an infinite loop.

5. Hipster Doofus

I took out the /s switch & out of the two files it copied one. Now I get a parse error for the other. Getting closer. :D

6. Hipster Doofus

Thanks for the help. Figured it all out now. On the line I had a ' instead of a ".

:happy: :happy:

7. j79zlr

sure:blink: