CURRENCY:Can someone overseas explain this??

J

jcs83md

Ok, I just saw that the Australian minimum wage is $11.35 Australian Dollars per hour. That roughly converts to $6.40 an hour (US Dollars). Now my question is, does $11.35 AUS buy in Australia what $6.40 US does in US? Or are things a little different and do people in Australia just live a little better overall then Americans do here. I know they cant take a total hit on selling goods but I just wonder if you could actually live on minimum wage in Australia, or other countries.

Th eminimum wage in teh UK a few years ago was £4.10 if that helps to confuse you a little more.

Posted by jcs83md
Ok, I just saw that the Australian minimum wage is $11.35 Australian Dollars per hour. That roughly converts to $6.40 an hour (US Dollars). Now my question is, does $11.35 AUS buy in Australia what $6.40 US does in US? Or are things a little different and do people in Australia just live a little better overall then Americans do here. I know they cant take a total hit on selling goods but I just wonder if you could actually live on minimum wage in Australia, or other countries.

there is something that you might wnt to look into...

purchasing power parity...

if you ever read the economist mag (which I recommend) you will know the differences not only in curreny exchange rates but PPP as well...

also the BIG MAC index is a popular one... for kicks lol...

Did you also know the average work week in France is 35 hours.

You learn a lot when your job is about 80% downtime and your days are surfing the Internet. I've probably learned more at where I work now in the last 5-6 months then I ever did at high school, college, etc. I can program in VB6 now, working on C... can do 3D modeling.. if only I could get paid by surfing at home, my rig there is better.

Since we're on the subject of the US economy, lets revamp the education system too, the hell with college degrees... bring back apprenticeships. Who needs a Dr. in front of there name, hand me that rib spreader.

lol he wants to know if living in austrailia is better people... lol

No, I just know nothing about economics. I hardly ever leave my state, let alone the country.

That's because you live in Oregon. Obviously you didn't learn enough to express yourself in any other words but "lol".

90% of my time at work is spent surfing and chatting, I've learned absolutely nothing :(

no im just a very laughable person... im always laughing so i write it down. Im alway laughing at everything

Posted by jcs83md
You tell me what $6.40 over there buys & I'll tell you what $11.35 gets you here. :)

Remember...over here we have an excellent social sercutity service. Minimum wage earners get benefits from the government.
Especially for families.

$6.40 here will get you

a McDonalds Lunch Combo & 3 packs of gum
or
3 loafs of bread
or
a gallon of milk and 2 loafs of bread (maybe)
or
a cheap 10 pack of CD-Rs (RETAIL) (Probably more like $7 - 8)

hmmm... maybe i'll think of some more

A$11.35

Plain bread 650 gram loaf from a bakery not supermarket = 7 loaves. From supermarket = 4 loaves.

Ten litres of milk fresh.

Maccas for a combo is around $6.00.

CD-r's = same. About little bit cheaper. Cheapest we can get is around 30 - 40 cents each for a disk with no cover.

Of course with the drought prices are going to go up but I think I'll stay here after seeing that. :eek:

Posted by jcs83md
$6.40 here will get you

a McDonalds Lunch Combo & 3 packs of gum
or
3 loafs of bread
or
a gallon of milk and 2 loafs of bread (maybe)
or
a cheap 10 pack of CD-Rs (RETAIL) (Probably more like $7 - 8)

hmmm... maybe i'll think of some more

too bad Hawaii is not part of U.S. economy........lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back