crossover not working help

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Krux, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

So I went over to my moms house to hook my little sister and her pc together with a cross over and share the internet well they see each other just fine but ever time I run the networking wizzard on the computer with internet all it does is go through the steps then say there was an error it doesn't say what the error is it doesn't even give me a flippin code NOTHING! also in the nics advaced tab it say somthing was currpt I'm thinking this is the error and I rolled the computer back as far as it would go and the damn error is still there. can some one help me out on this or am I gonna have to break my foot off in this computers ass?

2. arson_nick

arson_nick OSNN Addict

If something in the device is corrupt, it's probably drivers, reinstall the newest ones. The networking wizard will only work if all of the devices are functioning properly.

3. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

I did that and still the same thing happens it works fine if the other computer is the one that connects to the net and not it, whatever its lame and gonna get formatted tomorrow night.

4. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

you don't need to run the wizard, just plug the cable in, put both computers in the same workgroup, and your done.

5. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Exactly. Connect the two computers with the crossover, set manual IPs for each of them, make sure ICS is enabled on the host, and finally set the IP of the host as the "Gateway" in the TCP/IP properties of the guest machine.
    The wizard causes problems more often than not.

6. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

If its cable or DSL I woulod get a router instead. There much better and have a NAT firewall. Besides the host computer will ave to be on everytime the other computer wants to use the net. If ifs dialup then nevermind.

7. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

that was the problem it wouldn't let me enable anything on the device no firewall no let other computer control the connection no nothing! anyways its works now.

8. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Glad you got it fixed though :)

9. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

if a format can't fix it you know something is really wrong :)