Creating hi-res graphics

Discussion in 'Graphic Design' started by Jestermask, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Jestermask

Jestermask WinTMBG Professional

I'm not sure if it's possible, but is there any way (using any kind of program) to make a graphic a higher resolution? I'm using a logo for some letterhead and I need to resize it to a larger picture, but when I do it gets all blurry an' stuff. So can it be done? Any help is GREAT. :D

~JM

2. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Nope ... not that I'm aware of. You can go from higher -> lower but not vice versa as there isn't enough data in the image file for all the new pixels and thus the pixelation.

3. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

If you were creating vector graphics with something like Macromedia Fireworks or Adobe Illustrator, you would be able to resize everything without causing pixelation.

4. Jestermask

So then would it be possible to take an already-made graphic into one of those and resize it? Or would I have to actually create it in the program?

~JM

5. NetRyder

It would have to be created as a vector image from scratch, unfortunately.

Jestermask likes this.
  6. Jestermask

Well...crap. Okay. Thanks for the help, guys. :)

~JM

7. NetRyder

You could try posting the original image here, along with the size you want it to be. Someone might be able to resize it for you with minimal distortion.

8. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

NetRyder couldn't you open the image in something like illustrator and trace the image making a vector image that could then be increases in size w/out loss? I'm no artist so I'm just assuming here. I know I did something like this in a class I took but that involved scanning in an image as a vector image using some cool program and then you would be able to open it in illustrator and mess with. :)

9. chaos945

chaos945 Moderator

Yeah, can be done through an interpolation process, basically blurring the resulting pixilation. There are a few 3rd party apps that do it for you, but you can only resize so much with limited image data.

I've had good luck gaining image data by printing the image on a decent printer then rescanning it, basically the same deal as interpolation but the scanner does all the work.

10. NetRyder

Sure, that's possible. [​IMG]
    But depending on the complexity of the raster image, it might not be all that easy to trace it to create the vector image either.