crashing with second hdd

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by forcer, May 19, 2003.

1. forcer

forcer OSNN Senior Addict

when i added 2nd harddrive to my computer, just an old 1 purposly for backup. when i was accessing it my computer has started to crash excluding the basic windows crashes but crashing quite often i disabled the harddrive and the crashing went away i know its an old harddrive but this crashing cant be normal? what sort of stuff could i do to try and find out why its crashing, eliminate the crashes ect...? any reccomended software? thanx

2. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I would recommend 2 things mainly... check that there are no bent pins on the reverse of the older drive and the ide connector is properly fitting...

and make sure you have your slave master relationship setup correctly.. the older drive should be the slave and ergo the newer drive the master... there are jumper settings on the reverse of the hard-drive where the ide connector fits...

once you have it in slave/master mode it SHOULD be stable... and you should be able to check whether or not there are any problems with the hard-drive...

g.luck...

I will post more as things come to mind... but its 5AM over here and my brain is half-dead :(

3. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

maxtor has Powermax, a utility you can use to diagnose and totally wipe your hd.

deja vu :D

4. forcer

forcer OSNN Senior Addict

by totally wipe that will get rid of errors viruses and fix it n such?

5. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

sometimes

also I used to have a WD 13GB hard drive which simply would not work with XP, the drive would just keep spinning and the PC would lockup.

6. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

yup. it will wipe the harddrive completely with zeros. so unless your harddrive is physically dying and has hard errors on it, then zeroing it out will get rid of all that.

not 100% sure it will stop the crashing, though... that could be hardware.