Cracking mail accounts.

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Lee, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

I have a very old .hotmail.co.uk account, it's a 'colour' (at) .co .uk, I only got this colour as the other colour I wanted had gone.

I don't use it that much, I to be honest only sent 1 e-mail from it to a person I know in my Village.

Since I have had it, it's bombarded with cracking attempts, fake websites masking to be microsoft making out I asked to change my password if this is true go here and sign in to do it etc.

The latest one: www.passport.net

I know that m$ would not ask me for my pw or username and stuff, this is pissing me off, it makes me think what is the point in having a unique account, I keep receiving so much b.s. I was wondering what to do.

So I am asking advice.

(I don't like to be beat in a failing manner like this.)

1. Ditch the account and let somone else take the crap?
    2. Sell it?
    3. Give it to someone ?

If you want to know the account addie pm me. If I know you I will reply.

2. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

http://www.passport.net/ is legit??

it looks legit and uses https as wellk as:

3. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Yes, passport.net is a legitimate Microsoft web-site, it's their universal single-sign-in service which you can use on anything that supports it, however most people just use it for hotmail and msn messenger. :)

4. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Just though it odd that I had around 70 e-mails with reference to changing ones password, like for example, 'your recently tried to change your password' (I didn't), if this was the case click link below and sign in, stuff like that.

All from that address.

I did however change my password, I did test out my password on a zip cracking application, even after 8 days it still didn't find the password.

I just don't know why lamers would want that e-mail account, granted it's unique, but hey just another e-mail account.

5. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

To use for spam/pr0n/illegal activitys. Most emails hacks fall into one of those. ;)

6. jimi_81

jimi_81 Moderator Political User

i remember reading IE security issues where a website url could pretend to be legit as well as the https....

are you even using IE?

7. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

that would be hacking not cracking. cracking si the process of removing copy protection from software..

But yes if you are getting mail from ms saying you tried to change your passord then someone is attempting to break in.

8. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Go read about the definitions of a cracker and a hacker then come back and correct your statement.

9. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

hacker is a coder, well a clever coder

cracker is anyone who attempts to break through computer or digital security

thats my understanding anyway

10. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

*puts on pedant-o-hat*

k? :) :p

11. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

mmhmmm and you download cracks from a cracker not a hacker...

Seriously these definitions are outdated and like alot of terms their meanings change over time.

Hackers breach security, crackers remove copyprotection from protected software and hardware.

12. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

hackers breached security to find out how to fix them. Crackers breach security to wreck havoc.