CPU woes....

TheBlueRaja

BR to Some
I have just upgraded from an AMD Duron to a XP 2000+. I havent reinstalled XP or anything, just a straight chip swap. I have installed a coolermaster HCC-001, whilst i wait for my new HHC-001 fan.

When i turn on the PC, everything is fine and the CPU temp sits around 40 - 43 degrees. However if i run a 3D Intensive app like 3D mark, then the PC hangs after x time, never in the same place and always when running 3D apps.

When XP reboots, i get an message saying there is a possible hardware failure with my GeForce Ti4400, and the driver for this device was unable to complete a write operation. (Detenator 29.42)

However this has only happened since i installed the new chip. Eveything else, like the motherboard / memory etc remain the same.

Could this be because the CPU is overheating? Even though the fan i am using is certified for this CPU? No warning tone is heard indicating a problem. I have a Gigabyte GA-7VRXP with the latest BIOS update.

Or should i reinstall XP from scratch after changing the CPU?

Let me paint you a picture:
I have a 1 gighz athlon with a AV7133 mobo (asus) and a gforce 4 Ti4400. I always freeze. In games which take a lot of 3d acceleration, i freeze specially. I thought it might be that my cpu was running too hot, at 58*C. It was, but not for video. Sinse then, I applied a new dose of artic silver thermal greace onto the cpu and cooled down a whole 10*C to a steady 48*C or 49*C....well, im still freezing. Goddamn nvidia and the via chipset people need to get their shit together if you ask me.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back