CPU temperature

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Tbird94sc, Apr 27, 2002.

1. Tbird94sc

Tbird94sc Guest

i have an athlon xp 1700+. it is running currently @ 127 farenhieght when it just sits there doing nothing. thats the coolest it ever is. it goe as as high as 149 farenheight. is this hot? i think it is but cant be sure. i got the cpu, the motherboard (asus a7v266), the heatsink(Coolermaster) and 256mb pc2100 DDR Ram (kingston) all from amd in a bundle for employees of retail stores. i work @ compusa so i was eligible for the deal. i dont understand y it is soo hot. ive seen other people with 1800+ that r running around 105 farenheight. do i have to replace my heatsink and fan?

please help

2. lmi91

lmi91 Guest

did u put some conductive paste between the cpu and heatsink, arctic silver is the best for that, make sure its on straight, and if thats aint it you might want a better heatsink and fan.

3. Tbird94sc

Tbird94sc Guest

came assembled by amd. its got paste on it. its never been removed. i recently put it in an aluminum case and added 4 case fans
    created a cpu tunnel over the cpu and heatsink which lowered the temp from 165 @ high load to 148 @ high load

4. Tbird94sc

Tbird94sc Guest

5. Tbird94sc

Tbird94sc Guest

look at the review u can throttle the power to the fan and lower the sound by throttling it. even at the lowest setting it only changed for him 2 degrees higher

6. xsivforce

xsivforce Prodigal Son Folding Team

I also have a Volcano 7. BIG difference in sound level. I love it.

7. Tbird94sc

Tbird94sc Guest

like i said u can throttle the power and lower the sound that way. i got 5 computers running in my room alone 24-7. cant make much more noise than that anyway. besides the fact that noone can beat the swiftech for overclocking performance and stability

8. xsivforce

They are both good choices.

9. Tbird94sc

Tbird94sc Guest

10. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

11. Tbird94sc

Tbird94sc Guest

i may be overexxagerating when i saw small. trust me when i tell you its not due to the ambient room temp. it is in the basement of my house. its aways cold down there, regardless of outside temp cause its underground. no moisture or anything like that, the thing just runs hot

12. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

Another thing you could do is to run plastic ducting. If you have a front intake fan install a section of ducting from the rear of the fan and place the other end near the base of the heatsink or CPU. Flatten the CPU side of the ducting into a semi-flat oval. Make a bracket or something to hold the ducting, use your imagination. Instant ram air. You sound like a car buff, think about it. Ram air is cold air. If you make the ducting seal well on the rear of the intake fan you will get good air flow over the CPU.

13. Tbird94sc

Tbird94sc Guest

raim air has been done. my aluminum case came ith its own ducting system for that

14. lilsnoop40

lilsnoop40 Guest

fan

do SWIFTECH make that fan for a p4 1.7gh, 423 socket chip. that's what i have. and my temp seems to stay at cpu temp 49*C and my motherboard is at 46*C. i think this has a lot to due with the 1.0gig of RAMBUS RAM. thanks.. p.s

is this a high temp to be running at?

15. Tbird94sc

Tbird94sc Guest

they do. i saw it somewhere but i gotta look for it again. ill post here if i can find it

16. bmxjt

bmxjt Guest

OK, here's a dumb question but how can you find out what temperature your cpu is running at?

Everytime I stick a thermometer in the fan it starts making all kinds of racket and breaks the thermometer.. kiddin..

seriously tho. Is there software that tells you this?

17. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

The same famous SpeedFan , that's also a post at cpu temp where is a link for download !

18. FourDiceS

FourDiceS Guest

Same probleme here...

im running at 65 "c

I got a asus a7v266-e

I put another case fan... did'nt do shit

What's funny is that it the heatsink and fan from amd..

19. loppdawg69

loppdawg69 Guest

AMD's stock fan is "adequate" lol its loud and doesnt do the best at cooling...i keep visiting the volcano 7 at my local tech store, "Fry's Electronics" Great selection, just never..ever...talk to a sales rep there, and when i get the money thats my next purchase.

20. xsivforce

You won't regret it. :)