cpu temp REALLY high

U of I huh, in the six pack?

I went there for a couple years, starting working at Piccadilly, finished somewhere else :(

Anyhoo, I would say you want your op temps under 50°C. I would turn it off if it hit 70°C.

ya six pack, scott to be precise... but back to the topic... How does the cpu temp rise, yet the system temp lower?

I'd try a new heatsink and buy a tube of arctic silver...

I realize AMD's run hot, but thats a little extreme...

I have a p4 running on water, and even after a few hours of gaming, it sits at 30 C

Following the thread it sounds like you took the heatsink off and then reused the thermal pad. You can not do that. Thermal pads are a 1 time use. Pads need to be completely (and carefully) removed if you pull the heatsink. Then you need to use new silver based thermal compound any time you remove and reinstall the heatsink.

Some problems you can run into are:

Chip surface not properly cleaned before reapplying the heatsink. A thread of lint or a spec of remaining thermal pad can cause major heat rise.

Putting the heatsink back on backwards, tilted or crooked will cause it to not be in complete contact with the surface.

The fan should be blowing into the heatsink. I've seen them reversed.

The spring clip across the heatsink has an off center V in it. The point of the V should be directly over the chip to make the heatsink seat properly. I've seen the clips on backwards.

On cheap box heatsinks the copper insert may not be lapped flat. if it has machining grooves in it the thermal compound will not be enough to give good heat flow. This is why they use pads on the cheap boxed crap so they don't have to machine it properly. You can lap the copper if it needs it using scotchbrite. The copper should almost be reflective with no sign of grooves when properly lapped.

Any of the above mis-installs can cause physical damage to the CPU so you need to be careful. Remember it's just a peice of glass.

Some people recommend razor blades to clean chips and spread heatsink compound. Bad idea, metal canscrath the surface of the chip. Use plastic Qtips, tooth picks etc..

If a heatsink comes with thermal compound it is usually junk. You want arctic silver brand. Don't put too much or too little on. I'm running a volcano 9 heatsink but that might be a little under powered for an XP2800.

if it does it's going to be a cheap brand just buy yourself a tube of AS3 while you're there and save the trouble

alright well in case anyone still cares, ive decided upon the thermaltake silent boost with arctic silver 5 and a new panaflo l1a case fan thanks for all the input

Of course we still care.

Let us know if the new heatsink solves the problem. We keep track of what went wrong and what fixed it for help on future problems.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back