CPU Temp 64 3000+

lancer said:
Is 25C a good or bad temp for this processor, just installed it, without any thermal paste (i know i know), so wanted to see if this temp was good or bad. plus whats the highest this processor can go, in regards to temp.
well amd 64's normal temp is 45, i once got mine down to 18c :D:D it was snowing outside to i opened the window and let the wind hit my case it was agood day, but yea 25 is goodmine is at 30

well.. i don't see idle often anymore - but after 3 days of 100% solid (F@H) - I hit no higher than 51 degs c.

I think my idle is around 34-38 degs c. but i've got my zalman turned down to almost minimum anyways

The socket 939 3000+ runs at 2000mhz. the socket 754 runs at 1800mhz.

Also thermal paste just makes a smoother contact between the cpu and the heatsink, so its not a must but in most cases vital. But have you seen the f*^king size of the copper plate, my cpu is almost as heavy as my v/card. :) Also i'm only not using paste because i didn't have any last night and i wanted to build the pc and see how it ran.

By the way even though i changed everything out but my H/D, i didn't reinstall windows, like i said before XP sorts it all out. But i probably will reinstall soon anyway.

939...i know you were refering to the clock speed. O well its all the same...:)

thats real strange, did you look at the amd website too?

yes i looked at both. I wonder if for some odd reason if there is a setting i messed with and it turned it down some?

Lancer

Leave cool and quiet on unless you run into stability problems when gaming. That's what it's there for.

You did not mention if there was a thermla pad on the HSF. If there is you should not add paste it actually makes it worse. If there is a thermal pad, they are one time use only so if you lift the hsf then you will need to remove the pad (a nasty job) and use thermal paste.

If there is no thermal pad or paste you need to get some on there. The temps may be fine running cool and quiet when the PC is not doing anything but if you start gaming, folding, running benchmarks, etc. the CPU temp could shoot way up.

there is no thermal padding, also this weekend i was playing counterstrike for two hours and matrix online for 3 hours and the cpu only went up to 31c. And i have no paste. i'm just astounded to be honest, that its not going any higher. I'm now not sure if putting paste on it is a good reason at all, as the cpu temp right now is amazingly low, not sure if putting paste will actually make it higher.

The only thing i can think of is if its just a new cpu and perhaps it will eventually heat up to a more normal temp 40c perhaps.

isn't there a thermal compound on the cpu when you buy it .there was on my 3ooo+(754)when i bought it . :)

Lancer

The thermal compound will only be on the boxed version which includes the heatsink & fan not on OEM versions. I think there is a discrepancy in the temps the MB is reporting especially if your not using thermal compound. I wouldn't recommend you use this machine again until you get some Arctic Silver 5 or similar. As has been already pointed out, the idle temps of an AMD 64 are in the mid to high 30's.

BTW, what heatsink are you using?

i feel like i need to pull my fcking hair out (sorry ricky), but as i've said twice (perhaps even three times) now, it is the standard fan that came witht the CPU, this WAS a boxed cpu, it had NO thermal paste on it at all.

It could be reading wrong, but short of buying extra kit to figure that out, not much i can do, but i think its reading correct.

Besides it idles at about 25-27c, and goes to 31c on full load.

Does anyone else here own the 939 socket, the biggest thing i noticed was that the cpu can a huge copper bottom on my, is was about 2"x2" and about .25" thick, so try and picture that, plus like i said it weighed almost as much as my 6800 v/card. So perhaps this new copper plate helps a lot. i know my old 2400 had well no plate on it at all.

i attached a pic of the plate, but it doesn't show effectively just how thick it is.

http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=19-103-499-01.jpg

I have it and i must admit the heatskin is huge as hell. I was talking to my dads gf about you not having paste and we were talkinga about how later down the road your cpu is gonna fry without having any thermal paste. I just am shocked at how low your temps our without a paste :).

i know its fcking insane, i'll put paste on tonight, don't know how it will suddenly fry but not worth the risk. One thing i do notice, on my old system if you added a new componant xp would install it straight away, when it booted, now after boot i wait for about 10 seconds then it starts to auto-install the componant.

Like i said before though, in addition to the heatsink, i have two large case fans blowing directly on the cpu, wonder if that would help. i wonder if i've broken a world record i wonder! (drifts off into dreams of celebritydom) :)

hehe...

Sorry lancer, I didn't bother reading the earlier posts, just the posts near the end so I didn't catch what heatsink you had :crosseyed:

I'd be phoning the Guinness guys straight away (ask them for a pint while your at it :lick: ), maybe give AMD a ring also cause a water cooling system would find it hard to beat that! The other fans are for sure helping keep the temps down, but I can't imagine by this much.

can anyone suggest a way tp accuratly gage the temp, cos if this really is this low, i think i have something pretty cool (no pun intended) here.

Well.. my boxed fan had a thermal pad already on the bottom of the heatsink, you sure you've not got that on there mate?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back