cpu locks up or reboots randomly

M

madj

I put together a new pc about 2 months ago.
it has constantly give problems. I have a amd 2000+,
msi mobo with kt4v chipset, 256 mb pc27000 ram, nvidia4200ti,
425watt power suply.windows xp profesional. I have tried everything all updates to all drivers. the only voltage prob seems to be my mb voltage 3.3 runs at 2.8-3.0 never any higher. the only way I can get any stability is to OC the processor to 140 fsb
my temp runs about 53 C or more no matter what clock setting.
most lock ups come when playing games but sometimes even the screen saver will freeze. it locks up even when idleing. im no IT tech but I think all my settings are rite.any input would be nice.

53c is within operating specs.
it is possible to overheat when playing games. I would try to get the cases ambient temp to less then 40c. You can check out www.overclockers.com for ideas on how to mod your case (check out their cool links for extra info from other sites).

I'd say your system may have an air flow problem. Too many people have small cases with few fans and Big Processors. So, heat is a real problem for them especially if the PC is located in a
Warm Room! I've always had a better computing experiance when my PC's were in the Basement. (Too bad my home don't have one now.)

1. Things to improve air flow: Rounded cables, and/or Cable management, Forgot the name but basicaly it's a hole above the CPU/HSKF, with a tube that let's the air directly out of the case, HDD Coolers, Slot cooler, Video Card cooler/HTSKF.
2. Better heatsink fan check the reviews at www.overclockers.com
3. Another way is to go with watercooling (NOT for NEWBIES plumbers can get away with it though ;) ).

I used to have a small case and had to run it with the side off or it would overheat and that was with a 1.4Ghz with the Vulcano 6+Cu. I have no problems with my 4 80mm case fans and an extra two on the Power Supply. My brother had to have a floor fan running on his open case to keep it cool enough to run stable.
Hope that helps!!!

hmm... u should try take ur side case off or both side! see whether the temp drop or not.... if its not dropping, then u should check ur heatsink or try to reapply (if u oredi did) thermal paste on ur cpu!

the motherboard and power supply are NOT compatable. go to the msi site and see what they recommend, its a common enough problem with MSI as there shite

Originally posted by madj
the only voltage prob seems to be my mb voltage 3.3 runs at 2.8-3.0 never any higher. the only way I can get any stability is to OC the processor to 140 fsb.
uh-oh. if your 3.3v is running that low, there's your problem most likely. what's happening is your chipset, memory and agp card (i think?) are running under voltage which will cause instability. if you can, try a friend's power supply.

but why you gain stability by overclocking is beyond me. :confused: maybe just an illusion?

the more drain on the old PSU the higher the voltage, in this guys case, probably putting the 3.3 near what it should be.

my case temp stays at 30 c. I have 2 intake fans in front 1 intake fan in the side 1 exuast fan in the back 2 if you include the power supply and 1 pci blowerfan just under my graffix card. I added all this after I started haveing problems. windows blue screen read this:
stop: 0x000008e(0xc0000005,0xbfbbcb52,0xee46da7,0x000000000)

nv4_disp.dll_addressBFBBCB52 base at bf99e000,date stamp 3d6ff583

I have also tried 3 different grafix cards including 1 pci card and still had problems.

im going to trie a new power suply as soon as possible.

Originally posted by GoNz0
the motherboard and power supply are NOT compatable. go to the msi site and see what they recommend, its a common enough problem with MSI as there shite

msi are shyte ?

since when ?

Originally posted by madj
my case temp stays at 30 c. I have 2 intake fans in front 1 intake fan in the side 1 exuast fan in the back 2 if you include the power supply and 1 pci blowerfan just under my graffix card. I added all this after I started haveing problems. windows blue screen read this:
stop: 0x000008e(0xc0000005,0xbfbbcb52,0xee46da7,0x000000000)

nv4_disp.dll_addressBFBBCB52 base at bf99e000,date stamp 3d6ff583

I have also tried 3 different grafix cards including 1 pci card and still had problems.

im going to trie a new power suply as soon as possible.

that dll appears to be an nvidia display driver...

perhaps reinstalling the driver will help since there are errors generated...

also there are possible conflicts between your pci/agp slots...

please post what you have in your pci/agp slots when you are getting bsod's

:)

irq conflicts are teh pain in da bottom :(

Re: Re: cpu locks up or reboots randomly

Originally posted by taurus
uh-oh. if your 3.3v is running that low, there's your problem most likely. what's happening is your chipset, memory and agp card (i think?) are running under voltage which will cause instability. if you can, try a friend's power supply.
Could also just be a fault sensor. My computer reports 3V on the 3.3V. Never had a problem.

Gaining stability from OC could mean over voltage from the PSU afaik. Maybe.

nothing in pci slots and I had the same problem when I first had a radeon 7000 64mb pci card. with totally different drivers since then I have installed a new maxtor 80gig hard drive. so there are no risidual affects.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back