CPU Coolers, Which one??

the only reason I would need a P4 type connector would be if I wanted the better Heatsink Failure resistance of the P4 processor, a P4 will simply slow the clock rate until a safe temp is reached. The P3 will hang the System, the Athlon T Bird and XP will both Fry.

Check it out at Tomshardware, very cool video as well of the AMD CPUs smoking.

I don't want this to turn into a "my P4 is better than your AMD". If you're happy with your choice then so am I. I'll just say that the T-bird-equipped ABIT MOBO I have has fan and temp failure functionality.

How about this!!
Im just annoyed by the 6800 rpm fan noise.... is it ok if i switch the old fan of 3000rpm to the new Coolermaster Skived Fan heatsink... Do u guys think there'll be any probs??

As long as keeping your core as cool as possible isn't an issue you should be okay.

I have a Spire SuperRock cooler (4000rpm, 40mm, Aluminum)

58C is too high. it should be 35C-40C idle with good cooling (45C or so full load). Make sure that the heatsink is mounted properly and that thermal paste like Arctic Silver is used generously.

58c..whoa...my 1800+ is oc to 1.667ghz and runs at 33 - 38c

tho id still like to get it lower?

:confused:

thinking of getting the AX-7 cooler

incidently , rick u could use an adjustable rheostat connected to ur fan..just lowering the the speed would kill the noise a bit.

just wondering..does anyone use the "halt" command in bios..its normally hidden ..it put the cpu on standby (or something like that) when ur not using it thus brings down the temp...mine used to idle around 41C but since enabling it....idles 33C!!:eek: :D

Capt Buffalo, no I dont want a big AMD vs Intel thing going either, but I have to say that Toms Hardware performed the heatsink removal test on a mobo with that kind of failure functionality, it was later revealed that those motherboards protect against Fan Failure only during the boot process and not during standard operation. So in that area Intel is better, personally though I would rather go with a AMD and a decent fan, I had a heatsink and fan working but not connected to the processor once it was running at 78 celcius just when I was in the BIOS, the heatsink did nothing and the CPU is still fine, am not sure if it is luck or if i will pay for it later with short lived CPU, but upgrading is just around the corner anyway.

I can easily ackowledge the fact that Intel produces battleship CPU's. However, to say that my CPU/MOBO combo is somehow AUTOMATICALLY deficient because Tomshardware says so is a bit of a stretch. Frankly, it doesn't bother me that a MOBO doesn't poll fan RPM after bootup. It's far more important to monitor die temp and act accordingly. Besides, for those who are anal about such things, there are loads of third party SW tools that when coupled with a bit of scripting can easily monitor fan RPM and power down on abnormal readings.

I am not saying that your CPU/MOBO is deficient, I am just saying that from AMD, they know that their current safety measures such as CPU self throttling are not either correctly configured or not functional on a drastic scale.

Also I sometimes wonder if Intel is designing chips to survive a Nuclear holocaust, which is pointless as no one will be able to use them. Unless they are to clone everybody and restore the human race.

Would be a bit of a marketing blow to AMD that wouldnt it.

*Ding, ding* Round over. :p
Do I need to seperate you guys? ;)
The best cpu is the one you are currently using. :cool:

We're okay. This is cordial compared to what usually happens when I open my mouth. :) Intel makes more solid CPU's, I grant that. I just refuse to pay the premium required for so little return. When/if they offer more bang for the buck, I'll have one.

no we dont need to be separated, I completely agree, I mean if AMD got their CPU throttle prob sorted then they would still sell at a lower rate, and you would ge more performance for your money, Intel just seems like it is a waste of space to me, the only reason PC manufacturers stay with Intel is because it gives them funding and other things like that, which is why AMD will prob remain a Custom PC vendors CPU of choice and mine.

They also say that the AMDs run hotter than the Intels, but who really cares as long as it is maintained within normal operating Temps but a HSF combo. Also AMD dont care if you want to overclock, once its yours you can do with it what you like. Intels Clock locking is about as dumb as the the DOJ M$ split idea.

Out of curiousity, how do people feel about the Intel Clocklock of CPUs?

It's vintage Intel. Why let the user do what he wishes with what he purchases? That would be too much freedom. It's a perfect example of the BIG head companies/organisations/governments get when they grow beyond a certain point.

hi
i run a p4 1.3 ghz
wid 384 rd ram
i get a cpu temp of 45 idle
sys zone 1 : 25
and sys zone 2 : 33
do you think this is alright for a p4 1.3 ghz?...or too much?...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back